General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need some suggestions and confirmations

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default need some suggestions and confirmations

I was just given a 92 accord 5 speed 4cyl. I will try to make this as short as possible but provide all the info I can. just want some confirmations and advice. I have been looking around site and web for answers for about 2 days

The car needed to be jumped off guess had been sitting a month or so. I followed the guy 10+ miles to my house I heard the car back fire once during the drive. he parked it and 2 hours later I got in it and started down the hill to find out the car was sputtering really bad. it seems to idle fine but if you gap the throttle any it bogs down if you slowly increase rpm it does just OK untill maybe 2k then starts sputtering. I "think" fuel filter. would every one agree?

I pulled a plug wire and they have oil in them so I need to change valve cover gasket and the o-rings for the plugs but the plugs do not seem to be fouled out yet.

The Cel light is on. I pulled the cover to look for the wire to count the blinks but im not 100% sure which one it is. Looking straight at the connectors there are one bunch that has about 8 wires in it and to the left of it there is one with 2 wires in it. I assume that is the correct plug?

The radio needs code local dlr said 50 bucks WTF... I tried holding 1 and 6 to get the serial number but no luck any suggestions at all on the radio?

Both door interior handles are broke and you have to pull the latch rod to open the doors any idea where the cheapest place to get new ones would be?

Driver windows goes down about 6 inches then I hear gears and it stops can this be fixed or does motor need to be replaced?
How hard is it to replace window motors driver side front and back do not work?

Sorry this is so long
TIA

Last edited by cinobyte; 04-15-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

There should be two wires (red and green) going into a blue plug that is not plugged into something else. See the DIY writeup on how to check CEL codes. Post the codes. You can google honda accord check engine light and there are some videos showing how to do this.

You definitely should do the upper seals and the valve cover gasket. I like FelPro brand, and most parts stores sell the whole thing as a set. There is a lower set that is harder to change, but try the upper seals first to see if that takes care of the problem before trying to do the lower seals.

Holding 1 and 6 is for newer accord radios to get the serial number. Look in the owner's manual for a card with the code on it. Someone may have written the code in the manual. Sometimes there is a sticker on the glove box or maybe on the ash try that has the code. Call another dealership, because most places don't charge you for that kind of stuff.

I would take care of the maintenance stuff just to ensure that it is all up to date. Spark plugs, distributor cap, and distributor rotor. There is no maintenance schedule to change the fuel filter, but you can give it a shot. You may want to have the battery/alternator/starter tested at a parts store.

The other important item to find out about is when the timing belt/water pump was last changed. If that belt breaks, then you are going to have a very expensive repair bill.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

do you think a dealer would give me the radio code over the phone?

Old 04-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Some dealerships may. You will have to call and ask.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default update on engine stumbling

I started the car for a shade tree that i know and it started and ran fine no stumbling at all. SO i noticed the cel light was not on. I restarted again and the cel light come on and it was stumbling again. I will try and pull the code tomorrow and see where that leads me.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

It's *SUPPOSED* to store the error codes, so even if the light doesn't come on try to read the codes anyway.

Go to www dot ahm-ownerlink dot com
Register with a username & put in your car's VIN.
Somewhere in there I think you can get the stereo security code, unless it's been swapped out since it came from the factory.