General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need warranty work - Who is best or least bad Dealership near Boston?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 12:22 AM
Default Need warranty work - Who is best or least bad Dealership near Boston?

I live in Watertown, MA, about 6 miles west of Boston. I have a 2017 Sport SE CVT that I bought used at about 6k miles, after having a previous brand new 2017 Sport SE get totalled at 3k miles in an accident (minor).

I have about 14k on the car now. I noticed that when I start at an highway on-ramp in Sport mode from a low speed or being stopped at the ramp yield sign, under high throttle and then shift to Drive once I merge onto the highway,
that I am getting an extremely strong sulfur smell from the exhaust. This also seems to happen on the highway doing some medium acceleration lane changes. To me, this would seem to imply a problem with the catalytic converter, or the fuel controls, but I am not getting any check engine light. The car was owned by an employee at a NY Honda Dealership before he traded it, so it is possible he might have had the mechanics fool with something, but short of him reflashing the main computer mapping, I can't think of what possibly could be going on. I do get crummy mileage, even accounting for heavy stop and go in crowded Boston. With the Eco mode button on most of the time, I am seeing Trip A around 20 mpg. I do not remember what kind of mileage I got with my original new Sport SE.

My previous brand new Sport SE did not exhibit this sulfur smell at all. I've tried different brands of gas, but it makes no difference.

In any case, I then have to take the car to a Stealership Service Dept, as this should be a warranty item.

Most of my previous cars were used and out of warranty so I either fixed them myself, or brought them to a competent independent garage.

I have zero experience with the service departments at any of the local Honda dealerships. I had my last oil change done at an independent garage
with Mobil 1 and the better model of the Oem Honda oil filters, supplied to the garage by me.

So does anyone on the forum know the best (least bad) Honda dealership service department inside or outside RT 128???

Old 05-11-2019, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HAF

I'm nowhere close, but I changed the title to include the location.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

How are you smelling it? Usually when driving, you shouldn't smell it inside the car, but the guy driving behind you would smell your exhaust.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:25 AM

Jim,

At least in the case when I start from almost a standing stop entering an on ramp until I merge, I'm smelling it at my driver's seat, windows closed, climate control on manual with vent open.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

I hate to distract from the actual problem, but maybe some problem causing an exhaust leak far-enough forward to get sucked into the ventilation system.

Car designers have to be careful not to allow exhaust (smelly or not) from being sucked into the car. If the car was old it could have rusty holes in the floor, but 2017 is too new for that.

It's under warranty as you said originally, so make sure you have them look for that along with the actual problem. Maybe missing seals wherever stuff like wire harnesses come through the firewall.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Another thought just so I don't take anything for granted - so don't take it the wrong way...

AC on or off? With enough acceleration, the PCM can sometimes shut off the AC compressor. If you accelerate for enough time the evaporator gets warm and you get a musty smell from the moisture in there. Maybe "enhanced" by a lot of disgusting crud on the cabin-air filter?

Old 05-16-2019, 10:44 AM

Jim,

I have a new cabin air filter sitting on the table next to my desk, but it has been sitting there for 5 months, waiting for this lousy daily spring rain to stop.

The smell is sulfur, the only reason I would be smelling it. This should only occur if the cat cannot process enough unburned fuel.

My real problem is trying to pick a dealership. I've had the oil changed by an independent shop I know and trust.

The last time I had a new(ish) car under warranty was decades ago. I can't do anything until I can try to choose a stealership I ? can trust????

Old 05-16-2019, 01:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Runner42
Jim,

I have a new cabin air filter sitting on the table next to my desk, but it has been sitting there for 5 months, waiting for this lousy daily spring rain to stop.

The smell is sulfur, the only reason I would be smelling it. This should only occur if the cat cannot process enough unburned fuel.

My real problem is trying to pick a dealership. I've had the oil changed by an independent shop I know and trust.

The last time I had a new(ish) car under warranty was decades ago. I can't do anything until I can try to choose a stealership I ? can trust????
Like Jim, I'm too far away to be able to help. Our local Honda dealer is very good, and my wife and daughter in law like them.
You might look up the dealership and check their feedback. Most dealerships are on some sort of social media these days.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 05-16-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:28 PM

I've already looked at yelp, and the dealership where I had bought the first 2017 Sport SE recently had a big change in general manager and the feedback from people servicing their cars has suddenly swung negatively.

I think the easiest thing to do is for me to call Honda Corporate, and find out who is the regional corporate Service Manager and ask him for a recommendation.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Runner42
I've already looked at yelp, and the dealership where I had bought the first 2017 Sport SE recently had a big change in general manager and the feedback from people servicing their cars has suddenly swung negatively.

I think the easiest thing to do is for me to call Honda Corporate, and find out who is the regional corporate Service Manager and ask him for a recommendation.
That might be your best bet.