General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needing to 4 wheel tow a few blocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Default Needing to 4 wheel tow a few blocks

The shop has given my 2003 Accord with 148k a death sentence saying the engine has lost compression in 2 of 4 and needs replaced. Not happy about a 148k meticulously maintained Honda doing that to me...but that's beside the point of this. Replacement Costs more than it's worth...want to get it home, parked, to start parting it out, but don't want to pay even more $$ to tow it when it's just 3 blocks away. Can't seem to find any details on exactly how to hook it up to a tow rope/hook on front to be pulled by a pick up. Anybody have any ideas?

Old 08-13-2015, 06:22 AM

Towing regulations can differ from State to State. I have seen a strong steel pipe with the tow rope through it used many times. Regardless, there are two two hitches under the front of the car, one on each side. You will likely need a chain between the two and then connect the tow chain in the middle of the two. But as stated you should check your local regulations because if you are caught towing in an illegal fashion or method it may cost you more then a towing few would have. The other options is to try and drive/limp the car home preferably during a low traffic time if you live in a high traffic area, or rent a u-haul car dolly and if need be you can winch it up on to it.

Question for you. Did they pull the head off when they looked at it to see if it is warped? If it is not warped and it is either valve seats or just the head gasket it should cost around 1,200 to repair. I can't believe if the car is in great shape with that kind of mileage it is worth that or less. So what was their diagnosis for the loss of compression?