General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New Battery Helps Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Default New Battery Helps Performance?

Hello, it's been so long since I've been here, my password successfully escaped both my mind and this web site, so I had to re-register as 05hybrid. I was going by Honda05.

Any-who, we just had to get a new battery put on the 05 Honda Accord Hybrid V-6. They told us the old one had a bad cell. Well, I am now noticing the dash lights seem brighter than they ever have, plus the performance is better. I am about to decide maybe the old battery never was all together since we bought the car. Is it possible for a properly working battery to help overall performance, if the old one never was quite together?

I also notice I have more bars lit up on the IMA backup battery than before. It did average 3-4, now it averages 5-6. The charge-assist seems to also work better, and go further over on either side now, since getting the new battery. Is it possible for all of this to be working better, performance, etc., with a better battery than the car had?

Thanks~

Old 04-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Default RE: New Battery Helps Performance?

Better voltage = better spark, so yes it could improve performance.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:12 PM

Howdy, brickballer! Well, that's sure good to know. Thinking back on the last 3 years of owning the car, I don't think that battery ever was 100%. The way the dash lights glow, and the other. These cars are so all-electronic that sure stands to reason. Probably had a stale cell all that time, and it just now crashed.

Thanks, and good to meet you.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:41 PM

Battery wouldn't have much to do with spark. The alternator is supplying power to the ignition system at that point. If the battery is weak you could lose a little power from the alternator being in constant load trying to charge it. The gain of replacing the battery, if any, would be negligable.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

I would think that with a hybrid, the motor/generator would be capable of drawing a tremendous amount of power away from the engine.So that a small change in it's control parameters would be noticable.

That's a whole different game vs. a normal powertrain.

05hybrid...
We're talking about the 'normal' automotive battery? Or did they replace the large $$$ IMA battery?

Maybethe IMA-batterycontrol system was doing funny things based on the incorrect voltage coming from the'car-battery'.