General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New to Forum and have a brake issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Default New to Forum and have a brake issue

I am new to the forum and I have a brake issue kicking my behind. I have been a heavy equipment/forklift technician for over 30 years and nothing has blown me away like this.

I have a 96 Accord with out ABS, disc front & drum rear and I cannot get a pedal.

The story goes like this. My son had been using the car and said it had a brake noise. I told him to park it but you know how far that went. Anyway, he ran it so long it developed a leak and he was using the p/brake to stop it. I tore it down and found the left front wheel had slung the in board pad out and the caliper piston tore up the rotor. Hence the leak from the piston seal. By using the p/brake to stop the car, the rear shoes were toast also.

I replaced both calipers, rotors (what a pain), pads, rear shoes and wheel cylinders. Bled all for wheels and no pedal. I assumed that with the continual driving with no brakes, he took out the master cylinder too. Thought since I was changing everything else, i would change the booster while I was there. Changed it all, bled the brakes again, still no pedal. I ran atleast one master cylinder of fluid through each wheel.

I thought then maybe the proportioning valve was bad. Took it off (what a pain) and disassembled it. I found the one of the pistons sticking in the bore of it's cylinder. The rubber packing on the piston was pretty swollen.

I installed a different prop. valve today and guess what, still no pedal. This prop. valve came off of a wrecked car. The brake system was still closed up so I am pretty sure it is ok. It was full of clean fluid when I took it off.

Could I have that much air in this system that there is absolutley no pedal?

HELP

Old 05-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Hi Dave..this is posted in the wrong forum and more than likely wont get answered in here...so..off it goes to where you are now reading it..

Thank You for posting.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:02 PM

How have you been bleeding the brakes ? pressure ,vacuum , gravity or pumping the pedal , if by pedal how is the pressure coming out of the bleeder ? did you bench bleed the master when you changed it ? Have you started with the farthest wheel from the master first , was there an adjustment on the push rod for the master to the pedal and is it adjusted to the same length as the old one ? This is all that I can think of off the top of my head , hope some of this helps you