General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy needs help (accord)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default New guy needs help (accord)

After doing some google-fu, I came accross your site, hoping someone can throw out some suggestions. My fiances 98 accord(4cyl auto) just randomly killed one day while cruising about 55mph. No sputtering to notice, just kill and realized when car started to slow down. Im not getting spark to the plugs. I changed the ignition switch, and the ignition module inside the distributor cap. Ive hooked up 3 different code readers and they all come up "no link". It did throw a code becore be because I had it checked a few times already. Anyone have any suggestions on what to try next? Thanks guys for any input, I really need this thing back on the road for the sake of my truck!

Also: the rotor does spin when trying to turn over, so im assuming belt didnt break (I am far from a mechanic)

Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

How did you check spark?

Compression OK? (at least to the extent that you can hear the starter strain against each cylinder when you crank)

Turn the key to ON but not immediately to START. Can you hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds then quit?

Spark plugs have any fuel on them if you remove a plug right after cranking?

Old 11-01-2012, 10:03 AM

Stick a screwdriver into the coil, where the wire runs to the dizzy, crank, does it spark?
If not get volt meter check resistance between top left pin on plug and output, should be 16k ohms - 20k ohms.
if test passes check voltage between corresponding coil plug on the harness with the key on between the ground terminal and the voltage pin should be 12 volts, come back with results

Old 11-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I checked for spark with a screwdriver, also a test light. It does turn over fast, which is why I checked multiple times that the rotor and valves would move. I did hear the fuel pump, and did spray a tinyyy bit of starter fluid in intake (Had to try) and it still just turns over.thanks

Old 11-01-2012, 10:44 AM

so there is spark at the coil or no?

Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The coil is hot with the test light.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Check spark at the end of the plug wires, in case the distributor rotor is not making good contact. (maybe you already checked it that way?) Did you lose the little graphite button inside the distributor cap, which springs against the center of the rotor?

Old 11-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes thats where I checked for spark(out the wire). I never noticed about the spring, it is something I can check when I get home this weekend. I was planning on going pull off as many used parts of anything it could possiby be and try swapping them out(like dist cap, crank sensor)

Old 11-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I also noticed it turns over pretty fast, sounds like faster than normal

Old 11-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Pull the dist cap, turn the engine over....be sure the dist rotor is spinning/turning.

Quick Reply: New guy needs help (accord)