General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New honda owner with questions.. 92 ex

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:29 PM
caseyh46
Unregistered
Default New honda owner with questions.. 92 ex

Hi all... this is my first honda, I bought it for the gas mileage and it seems like a very nice little car. It's a 92 ex coupe with 164k miles on it. I have a couple questions i'd like to ask you guys "the pros" about this thing.

First, how hard is the timing belt to change? the guy said he hadn't changed it and didn't know if the guy before him had or not

second, the transmission (auto) seems to shift fairly hard from 1st to second

third, My only problem with it thus far is that it upon startup... sometimes it'll start right up, and sometimes it takes maybe 20 to 30 seconds of cranking to get it to start up... like a weak fuel pump or something like that... going down the road if I just stay in the gas enough to keep it up to speed it feels like it kind of surges a bit... which is why I think maybe a fuel filter....

anyway... if there's any other nuggets of wisdom you guys can offer a new honda owner I'd appreciate it...

Thanks and I look forward to reading/contributing for a long while here..

Old 10-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Default RE: New honda owner with questions.. 92 ex

the timing belt you need to take to a mechanic and let them do it, they will replace the drive belts, timing belt, water pump (because the timing belt turns the water pump), crank and camshaft oil seals, most places charge about 5-600 bucks for that, change the transmission fluid and use ONLY honda tranny fluid, your main relay is possibly going out, desert has several things in the DIY section that can help you there. the engine surging while driving could be a transmission slip, bad egr valve, pcv system is cloged etc.. etc...

welcome to HAF

'92 Accord LX

Old 10-16-2006, 03:14 PM

Welcome to the forum, I'd suggest that you do some basic maintence first to rule out simple little stuff.... Oil/Filter, Fuel Filter, Fuel Injector Cleaner, Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor, Tranny Fluid, Maybe coolant if it hasn't been done, and if that Timing belt is the origonal get that thing done too Since honda runs an interferance engine if that timing belt brakes while it's running you have a good chance of bending a valve or putting a hole in the piston etc. Stick with Honda brand parts and NGK spark plugs (don't use bosch) If none of that stuff has been done in a while then it's going to improve your starting and how smooth the car runs, I'd estimate the cost of doing all of that stuff at a mechanics to be around $600.00 on a 92 maybe $700.00 however, if you wanted to do it yourself you're looking at about roughly $200.00-$275 in parts (guessing off the top of my head) but that would ensure that the car runs a lot longer.... Can't Afford to do all of that right now then just slowly do it, but make sure that timing belt gets done before to long if it's never been done

Old 10-16-2006, 05:04 PM
caseyh46
Unregistered

very good... thanks a lot... that's kind of what I was thinking.... doing the timing belt first and foremost and then taking a weekend and doing everything else that comes with a basic tune up type evolution....