General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Honda owner with some troubles

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 05:26 PM
Default New Honda owner with some troubles

Hello everyone, after a lifetime of driving Toyota trucks and old model GM trucks I bought myself a 2002 Honda Accord 2.3 Vtec with auto tranny(244k). I am needing a cheap dependable car to drive back and forth to work.

The car has a CEL when I bought it but the previous owner assured me it was just an O2 sensor. The car ran fairly good for a week but has developed a rough idle sometimes, but sometimes it is fine. Also when kicking in the passing gear it will sometimes act like it is missing or cutting out while the tachometer flutters. Sometimes it does this, other times it doesn't.

I went by Oreilys and had them pull the codes. It showed P0401 egr flow insufficient detected as well as P1259 vvt electronic control system malfunction.

I did some reading online but am totally lost as to where to start. I did check oil level and can't see any dents in the pan. Thanks guys!! Please help this Honda newbie.

Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Bad_bowtie
Hello everyone, after a lifetime of driving Toyota trucks and old model GM trucks I bought myself a 2002 Honda Accord 2.3 Vtec with auto tranny(244k). I am needing a cheap dependable car to drive back and forth to work.

The car has a CEL when I bought it but the previous owner assured me it was just an O2 sensor. The car ran fairly good for a week but has developed a rough idle sometimes, but sometimes it is fine. Also when kicking in the passing gear it will sometimes act like it is missing or cutting out while the tachometer flutters. Sometimes it does this, other times it doesn't.

I went by Oreilys and had them pull the codes. It showed P0401 egr flow insufficient detected as well as P1259 vvt electronic control system malfunction.

I did some reading online but am totally lost as to where to start. I did check oil level and can't see any dents in the pan. Thanks guys!! Please help this Honda newbie.
The code 0410 is the EGR valve, and what usually happens is the port into the plenum is clogged. Get a plenum to runner gasket, and remove the top plenum part from the intake manifold and clean the crud out. Use the new gasket and re-install. If you're diligent, pull the EGR valve off and roto router the entire passage., and reassemble. I had to do this on my wife's 2000 Accord last spring. It wasn't that bad of a job, other than having to stretch across the car to reach stuff (it's all in the rear of the engine bay). Keep in mind, I later ran into an "insuffient lift" code afterward, and I needed to replace the valve too.

The code P1259 is a VTEC Malfunction. This could be something as simple as a pressure switch, or needing a complete valve replacement. You're going to want to test them first so you know which 1 is causing the code. The service manual has a great walk thru on testing the components.
I posted a link to downloadable Service manuals in another thread in this forum. I'll see if I can find it again.
Here it is.
http://www.hondahookup.com/forums/do...hp?do=cat&id=7

Last edited by The Toecutter; 01-10-2017 at 10:51 PM.