General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New instant Accord Fan

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:22 PM
Default New instant Accord Fan

Hello,

Just got a 1996 Accord EX and I got to say its quite an upgrade over my previous tank which was a 93 delta 88 oldsmobile.
Great ride so far, no complaints, hoping the fuel economy will be evident within my first full gas tank and how long it takes to deplete.

Only problem is the previous owner didnt leave me any manual or instructions about how to deal with the annoying car alarm, there isnt even a brand on it, so im assuming its from honda.

Not sure if this is the place to post questions but...

1) Is there a way to "pair" a remote with an alarm. The car came with 2 remotes both with working batteries, but only one actually controls the car. The other's light works just fine and I even replaced the batteries but it just seems to not be paired up with the alarm.

2) When I turn on the car and the dashboard lights come on, the "cruise control" light and the "low fuel" light do not come on. Is this normal or do I need to replace a fuse? If so which fuse do these relate to, I haven't had any luck finding it. Havent heard the car warn me about low fuel yet and I'm almost on empty.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post questions, I appreciate you viewing my post.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think the cruise-control or low-fuel lamps come on during the switch-on self-checkout.

Here's a procedure to synchronize the lock-transmitters. If it's an aftermarket alarm then this won't work.
1) Unlock Doors
2) Turn ignition key to "ON" position (II)
3) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote
4) Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position (0, I)
5) Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position
6) Press lock or unlock
7) Turn key to off position
8) on position
9) lock or unlock
10) off position
11) on position
12)lock or unlock - doors should cycle to indicate successful programming. If you only have one remote, turn ignition to off or don't touch anything. if you have 2+ remotes, go to 13:
13) lock on each transmitter that you need to program

*Steps 2-12 must be performed within 5 seconds of each other. Step 13 can be performed within 10 seconds of step 12.

The place to post actual questions is either General Tech. or one of the specific areas like suspension or A/V Electronics. So I'll move this to Gen.Tech.

Old 05-27-2010, 04:34 PM

yea i dont think those 2 lights come on when i start my car either. let us know what your gas mileage is when you finish the tank. maybe we can help you improve it. how many miles is on your accord?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by htekken
yea i dont think those 2 lights come on when i start my car either. let us know what your gas mileage is when you finish the tank. maybe we can help you improve it. how many miles is on your accord?
I got 241000 Kms when I bought the car, but since its an accord i figure thats not too bad, still has a few years left.

Theres another issue with the radio display flickering and spitting out wierd characters, but thats not a big deal.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I don't think the cruise-control or low-fuel lamps come on during the switch-on self-checkout.

Here's a procedure to synchronize the lock-transmitters. If it's an aftermarket alarm then this won't work.
1) Unlock Doors
2) Turn ignition key to "ON" position (II)
3) Press the "LOCK" or "UNLOCK" button on the remote
4) Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position (0, I)
5) Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position
6) Press lock or unlock
7) Turn key to off position
8) on position
9) lock or unlock
10) off position
11) on position
12)lock or unlock - doors should cycle to indicate successful programming. If you only have one remote, turn ignition to off or don't touch anything. if you have 2+ remotes, go to 13:
13) lock on each transmitter that you need to program

*Steps 2-12 must be performed within 5 seconds of each other. Step 13 can be performed within 10 seconds of step 12.

The place to post actual questions is either General Tech. or one of the specific areas like suspension or A/V Electronics. So I'll move this to Gen.Tech.
Thanks, ill give that a try. Not sure if the honda alarm has the honda emblem on the remote... this one is just black, with 3 blue buttons and no marking of any kind.