General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:14 AM
lpescato
Unregistered
Default New member

Hi, Im new here and only posting because I am having an issue I hope someone can help me with!
I have a 2000 Accord Coupe EX-L, 4 cyl. It has just over 95k on it and its been well-used, mostly for commuter and short trips. I change the oil more than needed and keep it up to date on major services.
Anyway, there's been many noises over the years and I've learned to deal with them. But just 2 days ago a new one which I am concerned about:
When I first start the car and back out, then drive, I am hearing a noise that resembles dragging a metal bar on the ground or tin cans. It's a high pitched clink clink clink. However, it goes away when I apply the brakes, and ultimately stops after just a few seconds of driving.
I'm really not wanting to take it in just yet, but was just wondering what it could be. It cant be brakes because it doesnt sound at all when the brakes are applied, it just sounds like theres something on the rear end that drags, but why would it stop if i was dragging something? It's now happening every time I start driving but of course it goes away, and you know how these things are, when you get to the dealer you do not hear it.
I hope someone can help me, I just need this beast to last a couple more years. Thanks! I have notified myself of replies so if you need more info let me know.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New member

Welcome to HAF!

Since it happens backing out & starting, you can try in some parking lot with a friend listening from outside. Have them try to pinpoint the location. You might be able to narrow it down to tranny or something else based on the location of the sound. From inside the car, sounds travel in funny ways, so its not always possible to figure out where its coming from.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Administrator
Default RE: New member

Hello new member, your in good hands with Jimmy Blake..Welcome to the forums...