General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

New owner of a used 2008 Accord with problems - Help!

Old 10-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Question New owner of a used 2008 Accord with problems - Help!

Hey guys, ok so I recently purchased a used 2008 Accord 4 cyl. It's got 88K miles and runs smoothly. However, I've got a few maintenance questions for ya if I may ask. The previous owner said that she didn't do any maintenance except oil changes. That means no 30 or 60k mile service. Also, I know for a fact the transmission fluid has never been changed/flushed. It does seem to shift normally as far as I can tell though.

But now, 2 weeks after buying it, The check engine and VSC lights started showing. I got the codes pulled and it came up with:

83-1 ECM RELATION FAILURE

18-1 No idea?

P0341 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor A Intermittent Interruption

61-1 - driver seat belt buckle switch

It ALSO has the "metallic" rattle sound on a cold startup. It lasts for about 2 seconds. I've seen on other posts that it's possibly a bad VTC actuator, or really low oil, or possibly something with the timing chain being stretched?!?
The oil level is fine. Isn't the VTC actuator covered under a service bulletin?

What do you guys think the most important thing to do first is? The transmission fluid? Are any of those codes signifying an impending breakdown, like the timing chain? If that breaks, is my engine toast?

Sorry guys, I know this is a lot but I've got to keep this car on the road as it's my only transportation. Thanks for any assistance!

Old 10-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

There's a procedure for checking the amount of extension on the timing chain tensioner. I don't remember the details, but you should probably get that done.

If the chain comes apart it's like breaking a timing belt on this interference engine. You don't want that to happen. At least check it to rule-out any problems with timing chain being stretched.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Is it clean when you pop the oil cap and look in? I have a feeling they were lying when they told you they did oil changes...

Old 10-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Question

Originally Posted by deanlampe
Is it clean when you pop the oil cap and look in? I have a feeling they were lying when they told you they did oil changes...
Yes, the engine looks clean when looking in the oil cap. I think the oil has been changed regularly. I checked the transmission fluid, it's pretty dark and a little bit low. Since it's never been changed in 88,000 miles, am I looking at any problems in having it changed at the Honda dealership with Honda fluid? I've heard that transmissions can sometimes "mess up" or start slipping after changing the fluid, especially if it's been a LONG time between changes. Any ideas? I assume I just need to get it changed ASAP right?

Old 10-18-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
There's a procedure for checking the amount of extension on the timing chain tensioner. I don't remember the details, but you should probably get that done.

If the chain comes apart it's like breaking a timing belt on this interference engine. You don't want that to happen. At least check it to rule-out any problems with timing chain being stretched.
Thanks, I'll check into getting the chain extension checked!