General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Newbie from NJ - 2008 Accord EX-L V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Smile Newbie from NJ - 2008 Accord EX-L V6

Hi Guys,

I am new member & a new owner of a 2008 Accord EX-L V6

This is my first car in the USA & have lot of queries but I will ask them as things go.Apologies in advance if any of my questions sound silly

Q1) The very first question that I have is to know the Most reliable & cheaper way to get a replacement/spare Key. My dealer had only one key.

I spoke to two dealers & they charge around 100 for programming & between $70-$80 for the key.

I searched on Amazon & found This Blank Key for $40, how do I find out f this is the correct spare/blank?
Amazon.com: Keyless Entry Remote Fob Clicker for 2006 Honda Accord With Do-It-Yourself Programming: Automotive

Can I buy this & get it cut at Loews/Home Depot & then take it to Honda Dealer? Or is there a better option?

Q2) The car used to shakes a little at front when braked, dealer said its due to rust on rotors which should go away in a few days. This has certainly subdued but how do I make sure that there is no other issues? I have read lot of Brake pad & rotor issues with Gen 8 Accord. So Please advice.

Q3) When I checked Autocheck/Carfax reports, it mentioned that this car may have a recall, how do I check that? Is there are site where I can put in my Vin # & get this info or should I take it to the nearest Honda Dealership?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Newbie from NJ - 2008 Accord EX-L V6-1740_17.jpg   Newbie from NJ - 2008 Accord EX-L V6-1740_08.jpg  
Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Talking Hello New Member...

Thank you for joining the forums today...

Happy to see another new member here in the HAF...

This link , if you follow it will help you get some of your questions answered they are one of our sponsors.

WheelBrokerAng

AllData - Technical Service Bulletins

Old 07-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the welcome & link

Could you help me with my Key query?

Old 07-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum. I moved your thread as there are several general tech help questions in it.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

A1) Regarding the key blank, get the latest genuine Honda one with revised transmitter; Honda part number 35118-TA0-A03. There were earlier versions; however, due to the keyless remote having problems, revisions were made to the transmitter. The Honda list price is $33.09, internet Honda dealer discount price is around $23.98 plus shipping.(See attached pic. regarding key blank w/transmitter.) -- Various internet Honda parts dealer like Bernardi Honda Parts, Majestic Honda, Honda Parts Now, etc.

See this link for Honda TSB 09-099 regarding the revised transmitter. Note that the TSB is regarding only replacement of the remote transmitter unit inside the key blank/transmitter assembly. Since you need/want the whole key blank/transmitter assembly, the part number I shown above is currently the latest.

http://mordor.rutgers.edu/accord/tsb...g%2009-099.pdf

You can not get it cut at Lowes, etc. as the key blank requires a special key cutter that they don't have.

Prices for parts, key cutting and programming varies by dealership.

A2) On the brakes, don't worry too much about them. For the fronts, only some Accords had some shuddering or noise problems. Honda issued revised front pads and instructions to dealer to resurface the rotor or replace as necessary. See link for Honda TSB 09-096.

http://mordor.rutgers.edu/accord/tsb...e%2009-096.pdf

For the rear, Honda issued new pads with different pad material, included V-springs, and instructions to check the rear caliper upper and lower slide pins and switch as necessary. -- Original rear pads wore fast.

A3) To check recall info. on your car, go the Honda ownerlink:
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/SEO/Ho...20RECALL%20IDS

Attached Thumbnails Newbie from NJ - 2008 Accord EX-L V6-key-blank-transmitter.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-06-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Smile Thanks

Thanks a lot redbull for answering the queries promptly

My reply inline
Originally Posted by redbull-1
A1) Regarding the key blank, get the latest genuine Honda one with revised transmitter; Honda part number 35118-TA0-A03. There were earlier versions; however, due to the keyless remote having problems, revisions were made to the transmitter. The Honda list price is $33.09, internet Honda dealer discount price is around $23.98 plus shipping.(See attached pic. regarding key blank w/transmitter.) -- Various internet Honda parts dealer like Bernardi Honda Parts, Majestic Honda, Honda Parts Now, etc.

See this link for Honda TSB 09-099 regarding the revised transmitter. Note that the TSB is regarding only replacement of the remote transmitter unit inside the key blank/transmitter assembly. Since you need/want the whole key blank/transmitter assembly, the part number I shown above is currently the latest.

http://mordor.rutgers.edu/accord/tsb...g%2009-099.pdf

You can not get it cut at Lowes, etc. as the key blank requires a special key cutter that they don't have.

Prices for parts, key cutting and programming varies by dealership.
Thanks, from the details you gave, looks like getting it all done from the dealer would give more peace of mind & as it is the most important part would be done by the dealer anyways.

A2) On the brakes, don't worry too much about them. For the fronts, only some Accords had some shuddering or noise problems. Honda issued revised front pads and instructions to dealer to resurface the rotor or replace as necessary. See link for Honda TSB 09-096.

http://mordor.rutgers.edu/accord/tsb...e%2009-096.pdf

For the rear, Honda issued new pads with different pad material, included V-springs, and instructions to check the rear caliper upper and lower slide pins and switch as necessary. -- Original rear pads wore fast.
I checked your link & looks like my car had this issue.

VEHICLES AFFECTED
2008–09 Accord EX, EX-L: ALL JHM and 1HG

Mine is 1HG series
Would the Honda dealer charge me for an inspection or the rotors & pads? Asking as I bought it from an independent car Dealer.

A3) To check recall info. on your car, go the Honda ownerlink:
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/SEO/Ho...20RECALL%20IDS
Thanks, it shows that my car has following recall

Description 2008-2010 Accord Nosemask
Type Safety Recall Campaign Status Open

Doesn't look anything major but I think I will get it fixed anyways.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Keep in mind, Honda Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) are to help their service technicians address issues identified; they are not recalls unless specifically stated as such. If there was an issue, which was not a recall item (like the brakes), any diagnosis or repair outside of warranty period would normally be borne by the customer; unless Honda America extends goodwill.

So, to answer your question; yes, they probably will charge if the car is no under longer under warranty.

The nose mask they are referring to, is if the customer bought the original Honda accessory, the car bra. Most people didn't buy it; so, it is an non-issue for most Accord owners. If an old part number Honda bra was bought previously, they just give the customer a new bra. Honda estimated the impact was 3,700; so, the number of people that purchased this was not very great.

Last edited by redbull-1; 07-06-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks again

Went to Honda service center for a new key, asked them for an inspection & they said they will do it for free since am getting the key done from them

As for the nose mask, I was somehow reading it as hose mask I don't have it so as you said I don't need to do anything about it.

Keep in mind, Honda Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs) are to help their service technicians address issues identified; they are not recalls unless specifically stated as such. If there was an issue, which was not a recall item (like the brakes), any diagnosis or repair outside of warranty period would normally be borne by the customer; unless Honda America extends goodwill.

So, to answer your question; yes, they probably will charge if the car is no under longer under warranty.

The nose mask they are referring to, is if the customer bought the original Honda accessory, the car bra. Most people didn't buy it; so, it is an non-issue for most Accord owners.
The report showed follwing as Red/Fail

The rear pads have 3 mm thickness so they need to be changed & rotors need to be resurfaced. Brake fluid too has been reported low & dirty. I am going to ask my used cal dealer to get this done for free, let's see.

The following were amber/ caution
-The front pads too are around 4 mm so might need a change at next service.
-Throttle body seems to be dirty as well.
-Cabin/HEPA Filter has been recommended for replacement

Old 07-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies

An update - I left my car with the dealer on Monday & Collected on Tuesday.

He has replaced the rotors & the brake pads at rear & resurfaced the front rotors

I would be checking out the condition of the HEPA cabin filter & if needed with change it myself.

I am looking to buy this filter from amazon
Cabin Filter

Old 07-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

That looks like it'll fit.

If you have seen this, here is a thread on changing it.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-guides-33830/

Quick Reply: Newbie from NJ - 2008 Accord EX-L V6