General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie from NJ - 2008 Accord EX-L V6

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the links, look helpful. Will update once I do this DIY

Old 08-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Guys what's the recommended interval for changing oil? I mean should I do it when the onboard computer shows oil life as ~10% or should I do it after x number of miles?

Also what is good Oil for the 2008 V6? I feel Synthetic is an overkill unless you drive a lot(meaning you clock lots of miles in short duration) or do a high rev driving.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2012, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

On my daughters' Civics, I've been going by the maintenance-minder for oil changes. I've had oil analyzed a couple times & apparently it could've gone longer. That's with Castrol GTX. To me, it seems like driving A LOT of miles implies highway cruising which doesn't wear the oil too much.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:20 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
On my daughters' Civics, I've been going by the maintenance-minder for oil changes. I've had oil analyzed a couple times & apparently it could've gone longer. That's with Castrol GTX. To me, it seems like driving A LOT of miles implies highway cruising which doesn't wear the oil too much.
Thanks for your response, you have posted an Interesting POV around clocking high miles. I didn't think of that.

So looks like Castrol GTX is a good oil to use & I think I will change the oil when the minder shows ~10%

Old 08-31-2012, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

The maintenance reminder warning lamp will come on at 15%. Then I normally don't panic, but just look for a convenient upcoming weekend to change the oil. I wouldn't panic until it gets down to zero or beyond. That is, if you're not using junk/cheap/crappy oil.

And the high-miles thing illustrates why the maintenance-minder is such a cool feature. If you drive lots of miles by taking highway drives, then you might stop & start the engine every 200 miles. That's perfect for long oil-life (and long engine-life).

If you're a pizza delivery driver, you might drive the same miles in a week, but stop & start the engine 100-times more often. The odometer doesn't know the difference, but the maintenance-minder keeps track of that stuff and it'll tell you to change oil more often.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

All I want to add to this is that the the system calc's the "oil life" - not the oil level. So you still need to check the oil level every now and then between changes.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for all the advice guys

Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Guys what is a good replacement Tire for the Accord?

I am looking at all season tires. I believe the Stock tire is V rated & I should probably stick to that, No plans to upsize either so would stick to 225/50R17.

The current Tire that I have is Michelin Primacy Pilot & I believe the Factory stock is Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 Grand Touring All-Season.

I have heard that Kumho is also a decent brand. Please suggest a suitable tire.

I want to put good quality tires but nothing fancy with good life. Thanks

Old 09-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not good with this one....never had an Accord the same as yours.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Wanted to ask this since a while. I have observed that after a cold start when I move the shifter to D from P there is a distinct Jerk in the car. This does not happen if the car is run for a while.

Is this common for Accords?

I read in somewhere that this is due to the High RPM during cold start, any thoughts?

Could it be engine mounts?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Newbie from NJ - 2008 Accord EX-L V6