General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No guage needle illumination on 95 EX V6??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 AM
Default No guage needle illumination on 95 EX V6??

I have a 95 Accord EX V6 (wifes Car) just had the ignition switch changed out due to itermittant response. . When we got the car back, the illumination for the indicatorneedles (Odometer, Tach, fuel & temp) does not light up at night. backlighting on the guages (you can see the numbers)works but not the needles. A friend who owns a body shop had the ignition module changed out for us but he said he didnt know of any thing they might have done to causea problem in the instrument panelAny one have any suggestions? Called the dealership and techs had no idea the needles were illumined. How are they illumined? maybe, fiber optics...or...bulbs....or? If it is bulbs, then all 4 have gone out at the same time, right? seems highly unlikely. What else could be the cause of the problem?

Old 10-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Default RE: No guage needle illumination on 95 EX V6??

As far as I know, the backlighting is all you have. Was it changed over to LEDs at some time? I've heard of needles being difficult to see after switching out the incandescents for LEDs.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the input White, but all that was changed out was the ignition module the key fits into , and this is the way we got it back. neddles were visible before...now they aren't (at night)
The guage numbering is illumined, but not the neddles.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: shox

Thanks for the input White, but all that was changed out was the ignition module the key fits into , and this is the way we got it back. neddles were visible before...now they aren't (at night)
The guage numbering is illumined, but not the neddles.
the needles themselves arent lit. there are two tiny bulbs above the gauges on top of of the cluster that shine on the gauge faces. should be a green light. turn on your lights and look up at the top of the cluster and see if they come on or not.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

On the top of the DIY section there is thread for 5th gen info. On that dhost page, click on electrical then click on gauges. There are some diagrams on where the bulbs are located on the cluster. There is one component that says bulb housing/illumination. The bulb may have been blown there. Did you try hitting the inst. cluster? Something may be loose in there.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:38 PM

here

[IMG]local://upfiles/6381/0677BF87C4E94237AB520083FEA75312.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-05-2007, 09:27 PM

Thanks "Velocifero" and "PA" I believe you guys have the answers I needed, now if I can only figure out how to get the panel open so I can check those two little green lights ( without diconecting the SRS, that scares me) Honda dealer will charge me $85.00 and they aren't even sure the lights are there. I will be darned to pay them for an exploritory venture when they can't even acknowledge that the bulbs are there! Thats even after I showed the schematics and repair instructions to them that you guys told me about, (printed them off the site you gave me) The Service manager insisted that those two lights were the ones that are the backlights for the guage system and light the numbers and all........... jeeez