General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise when brakes applied lightly...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 03:01 AM
rjp
Unregistered
Default Noise when brakes applied lightly...

'98 Accord LX 2.3L sedan. A few days after I changed brake pads and freshly turned rotors, I wound up with this noise that is only present when braking lightly. Sound is a creaking/thumping that coincides with speed as I stop the car. If brakes aren't applied, no noise at all. If brakes applied harder, noise goes away. It seems that the noise is present only after the brakes get hot. I've already checked CV joints by accelerating while turning the wheel in both directions, so I'm ruling out the CV joints. I've checked to see if the rotors were hitting the rotor shield and it wasn't that. I've pulled the wheels off several times to check to see if the pads were loose, but the clips have them in there pretty snug. A local mechanic told me that it was the cheap brake pads that I used (Pep Boys) and the fact that I turned my rotors (he said they should've been replaced, not turned). Could this be true? He seems confident that if he did new pads and rotors, the problem would go away. Does this sound possible? Could it be something other than brakes? In case it matters, I recently got new tires and alignment.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Noise when brakes applied lightly...

you do not have to install new rotors.. I resurface rotors all the time if there is enough tickness there to allow to be machined. and never have any noise afterward at all ...I would however try installing some FACTORY HONDA PADS ..make sure to smear the gray lube that comes with the pads, on the pads ( not where it meets the rotor of course ) and the shims and install the shims properly

Old 08-31-2006, 07:29 PM
rjp
Unregistered

desert,

thanks for the wonderful advice. i just installed OEM pads and shims and the noise seems to be gone!

Two more questions:
1) there are two shims for each inner pad, one shiny shim and one rubber coated shim. I installed w/rubber coated one on top of the shiny one, which would make the rubber one the contact for the piston. Does this make a difference?

2) I stripped one of the holes for the little phillips screws that hold the rotor to the hub. So now, I have both rotor screws in drivers side and only one rotor screw in pass side. Is this OK or would I be better off taking all of them out? I already tried to drill out and make new threads in the bad one, but I had no luck with that.

Thanks again for the very sound advice!

Old 09-01-2006, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

I bet that little screw is too close to the center to cause any balance issues. It's not needed except to make assembly convenient; the lug nuts actually hold the rotor onto the hub.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: rjp

desert,

thanks for the wonderful advice. i just installed OEM pads and shims and the noise seems to be gone!

Two more questions:
1) there are two shims for each inner pad, one shiny shim and one rubber coated shim. I installed w/rubber coated one on top of the shiny one, which would make the rubber one the contact for the piston. Does this make a difference?

2) I stripped one of the holes for the little phillips screws that hold the rotor to the hub. So now, I have both rotor screws in drivers side and only one rotor screw in pass side. Is this OK or would I be better off taking all of them out? I already tried to drill out and make new threads in the bad one, but I had no luck with that.

Thanks again for the very sound advice!

the shiny metal looking shim goes on the outer part,, so you install the rubber coated above the pad and the shiny one above the rubber coated one ,, and make sure to put the quietner grease, on the pads, and the shims ..
and as for the screw,,, JImblake is correct ..