Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Lightly Modded- Whats next?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 06:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Lightly Modded- Whats next?

99 v6 coupe. Ive installed AEM V2 cold air intake, DC sports 3-1 headers, and a Magnaflow Exhaust system.
My question- Whats the next Engine/Internal mod that comes to mind? Without jumping to a $4,000 supercharger like expense?
I am looking into coilovers and a wheel size upgrade with a brake upgrade-obviously these arnt engine upgrades.
I'm gearing this question to you guys who have experience with light mods such as my car and worked all the way up to a fully modded car.
Looking for another project for this car and any info and opinions would be great.

Last edited by sullivanmatt; 04-14-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

I would probably leave it as is. The automatics in the 98-02(v6s especially) are in all honesty terrible. They blow themselves up with the factory amount of power, so any more than that and its going to shorten its life even more.

I would just go with the suspension mods you want, and have a good looking and good handling car.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yea buddy if you have the auto behind that v6 you are driving a ticking time bomb.

Stick to wheels and stereo and drive that car easy.

I hope you have been changing the trans fluid often using only genuine Honda Fluid.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I agree with you both- I've def read up on all the nightmares of the v6 auto. I'm lookin into the tran swap to manuel, when the time comes. I appericate opinions from people who are running and dealin with vehicles similar to mine, vs opinions from people who know projects cars, but not issues these cars deal with.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

i also have the V6 Auto, approaching 160k mi. my dealer handles tranny flush every 30k mi. i also use the parking brake always - it is applied before my foot leaves the brake pedal. this ensures the tranny doesn't have to hold the car in place - and is recommended in the manual.

there aren't many aftermarket parts that will make a whole lot of difference. you've reduced inlet and outlet restriction. maybe gained a few HP. just keep up on maintenance. if you want a faster car, buy a different car.

I too have been looking into a 6-spd manual swap from a Honda/Acura if my tranny goes belly up. the price for a manual tranny may be the same as the auto rebuild - if you can find the manual for a good price.

here is some more info:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...wap-out-29450/

Old 04-17-2012, 06:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Mine's now at 146k mi. I was glad to here of ur use of the parkin brake, as I've been doing that with my cars for a few years and wasn't sure if it was worth it-more of a habit now.
Read ur posted link, good info. All this info has def helped me decided to put some nicer wheels,tires,stereo etc into the Accord and prob look for a civic or ? to fool around with a built engine. Its all been great info n I appericate the help n advice.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

another thread reminded me that my switch to NGK Iridium plugs made a slight noticeable difference for me. course, switching from original plugs will make a difference anyway.

pick yourself up a Prelude and have fun building a 400HP 2.2L H22A

Last edited by keep_hope_alive; 04-17-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sullivanmatt
Mine's now at 146k mi. I was glad to here of ur use of the parkin brake, as I've been doing that with my cars for a few years and wasn't sure if it was worth it-more of a habit now.
Read ur posted link, good info. All this info has def helped me decided to put some nicer wheels,tires,stereo etc into the Accord and prob look for a civic or ? to fool around with a built engine. Its all been great info n I appericate the help n advice.
There are a lot of options in the Honda world for building. With a manual transmission yours wouldnt be bad.

I have always been a fan of the lighter Honda chassis like the civic hatch and the CRX. But its getting harder to find one that isn't rusted or been messed with by someone else.