General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob with a lot of general questions - 04 Ex v6 6 speed coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Default Noob with a lot of general questions - 04 Ex v6 6 speed coupe

Hello all, new to the forum, new to Hondas, and I have a lot of general questions about my 04 ex v6 6 speed coupe:

1. How many miles should I expect to get per gas tank? I have noticed that I almost used a quarter tank of gas going about 45 miles, and that can't be right. What grade of gas should I use? What can I check for better fuel mileage? My tires are all good, brand new, so I ruled that out.
FYI - I am not driving like a douche, and I keep the rpms low (well, mostly).

2.About how much am I going to be looking at for a timing belt change at the dealership? It has about 72k, and a timing belt isn't something I want to wait on. What is the reccomended timing belt changing interval?

3. I feel every bump in the road in my car. Is this normal? It's not making any weird noises, but a few people have commented that they don't feel it's as smooth as they expected. I am chalking it up to a sport tuned suspension, but I just wanted to make sure it's normal.

4. Does the Accord ex v6 have heated mirrors? My side mirrors have been completely frosted over, and I don't know its a blown fuse, or they just don't exist.

5. What is the best oil to use in the Accord? I am a fan of Mobil 1 0w 20, but I don't know if there's a reccomended brand to use.

6. I was thinking about upgrading to the factory navigation unit. Any opinions on it, if it's even worth buying? I also read somewhere that if your car didn't come with factory navigation, it won't work. Is there truth to this statement?

I dont have an owner's manual, so I thought I would ask here. Thanks for your responses!

Last edited by gaines570; 01-05-2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: had to add a question
Old 01-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

1 - I used to have a 2003 4-cyl and IIRC the gas gauge wasn't very linear. What looks like 3/4-tank might really be 7/8. Evaluate fuel consumption by filling up & recording miles and gallons.

2 - I don't know cost for a V-6 timing belt. Pretty sure it's 100k miles or 7 years, so you're getting there based on years.

3 - I've heard that too. But I like it that way.

5 - Mobil-1 is excellent oil, better than you really need. Pretty sure it calls for 5w-20 but doesn't need to be synthetic. But Mobil-1 is excellent oil...

6 - I bet it's possible for less than a million dollars. But I bet you'll be throwing away a whole lot of expensive dashboard trim parts & buying wiring harnesses & etc... There's almost certainly more to it than what you can see on the surface. GPS antennas?

Old 01-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

I will just answer some of the questions, in part:

1. How many miles should I expect to get per gas tank? I have noticed that I almost used a quarter tank of gas going about 45 miles, and that can't be right. What grade of gas should I use? What can I check for better fuel mileage? My tires are all good, brand new, so I ruled that out.
FYI - I am not driving like a douche, and I keep the rpms low (well, mostly).

Refer to fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/19747.shtml for estimated mpg.
Re-set trip meter; next time you refill gas, fill it up; divide trip miles by gallons of gas to fill up to get average mpg. Repeat to calculate anytime.

You can use regular unleaded gas of 86 octane or higher. For your V6, manual, at low speeds, if you hear/feel knocking, you can use premium of 91 octane.

Check tire pressure, air filter, etc.

2.About how much am I going to be looking at for a timing belt change at the dealership? It has about 72k, and a timing belt isn't something I want to wait on. What is the reccomended timing belt changing interval?

Normal service interval for the timing belt is 105,000 miles or 7 years, which ever comes first.

3. I feel every bump in the road in my car. Is this normal? It's not making any weird noises, but a few people have commented that they don't feel it's as smooth as they expected. I am chalking it up to a sport tuned suspension, but I just wanted to make sure it's normal.

No comment.

4. Does the Accord ex v6 have heated mirrors? My side mirrors have been completely frosted over, and I don't know its a blown fuse, or they just don't exist.

Canadian model Accord has heated mirrors.

5. What is the best oil to use in the Accord? I am a fan of Mobil 1 0w 20, but I don't know if there's a reccomended brand to use.

Use almost any brand your wish. Although Honda currently recommend 5W-20; 0W - 20 probably will do fine, as Honda is moving most of their newer models to that viscosity due to better oils out there.

6. I was thinking about upgrading to the factory navigation unit. Any opinions on it, if it's even worth buying? I also read somewhere that if your car didn't come with factory navigation, it won't work. Is there truth to this statement?

Will cost you thousands of dollars to add factory navi. That's in parts alone, labor will be a lot; that's if you can get a dealer even willing to do it. There are aftermarket navi though; not talking about Garmin, etc.

Attached Thumbnails Noob with a lot of general questions - 04 Ex v6 6 speed coupe-gasoline-type.jpg   Noob with a lot of general questions - 04 Ex v6 6 speed coupe-service-schedule.jpg   Noob with a lot of general questions - 04 Ex v6 6 speed coupe-heated-mirror-canadian-models.jpg   Noob with a lot of general questions - 04 Ex v6 6 speed coupe-oil.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 07:31 PM

Thanks for your replies, they have been helpful. I know they are really basic questions, but like I said, I'm new to the Honda game.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by gaines570
This link might help. He has done it.
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...2&postcount=91

Last edited by EXV6NIGHTHAWK; 01-06-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Good find by just useing the search function we have here in the HAF folks.

Thank You Member...