General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Strange Vibration

My wife called me last week and told me the car was "running funny". I asked her to describe the symptoms, and she said the car is vibrating at speeds between 40-70mph. That same day, the car died at her parents house, and had to be jump started to run again. I know my wife leaves the map lights on alot, so I didn't think anything of it. I took the car for a ride when she got home and felt nothing out of the ordinary. Today she called me and said it's doing the same thing. I drove it again and felt nothing. The car is an 03 Accord EX V6 with an auto tranny. First thing I thought of is maybe the fuel filter which has never been changed, or maybe the beginning of a trans problem. I did feel a mild tire vibration around 80mph, but she says it's an intermittant stumble, not a constant vibration. Any ideas???

Old 11-22-2008, 12:00 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default RE: Strange Vibration

I also hear a faint buzzing sound behind the dash from time to time. It's a new noise that I never noticed before.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:03 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

When was the last time you had any work done to it...tune up..brakes..etc.?

Old 11-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I changed the rear pads and rotors about 1 month (1,000 miles ago). Aside from that, I do a synthetic (Mobil 1) oil change every 5K and I flushed the tranny at 30K. Not much to speak of besides that.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:59 PM
timlin
Unregistered

Wheelman322, Any resolution to the vibration problem? I am experiencing the same in my 04 accord with 140,000 miles. generally a vibration between 30 to 70 mph. Any advice would be appreciated

Old 12-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Wheelman...how many miles on the 03 Accord?

Old 01-03-2011, 04:04 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Wow...an old thread indeed. From 12/2/08-1/13/09, I was in a car accident that left me in a coma...that noise ended up being the symptoms of transmission failure. After a short amount of research, I learned that these cars are prone to early trans failure (This car had 50K @ the time)...even though my wife drives like an old lady & I am overly **** about routine maintnance, this did not help. Is there any way to avoid trans failure in these cars.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:54 PM

I have the same symptoms with the mystery vibration at around 60-80 mph. The car feels almost like there is some kind of "resistance" and doesn't seem to be affected by acceleration, deceleration or load from inclines or declines on the road. At first I thought it was the tires on rough pavement, but finally determined it is coming from the engine or perhaps the transmission, although the transmission seems to shift just fine. My car is a '97 Accord EX V6 automatic with 114K. The CEL came on but I thought it was some thing I may have accidentally caused, so I pulled the battery cable and reset the CEL. I was on a long trip and figured if it came back on, that I knew I definitely had a problem and that it wasn't my tinkering around with the fuse box that caused the CEL. So far the CEL hasn't come back on. The car is in the shop as we speak and mechanic can't see a problem with it other than the transmission is shifting a little "off" compared to other Accords, but said it wasn't anything major. Mechanic checked the plugs, wires, dist cap, & rotor button but says all that looks good. Haven't cleaned the EGR ports yet. Mechanic is suggesting we drive it some an see if the CEL comes back on so we can read the codes. I did find out that the 95-97 Accords had an extended emissions warranty on them that would include a free tune up and cleaning of the EGR ports, but of course I was outside the extended warranty period. Extended warranty period is 14 years of 150K miles, which ever comes first. My car was put in service in Dec '96, which put me past the 14 year mark. Always my luck! Would like to hear if a new transmission solved your problem or if anyone else has had these issues and found a resolution to it. Thanks, Sandy

Old 01-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Steviinicks
I have the same symptoms with the mystery vibration at around 60-80 mph......
Yep...No more vibe or hesitation @ all after the new trans.