General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure what to look at to make my heat work which is technically working..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Default Not sure what to look at to make my heat work which is technically working..

Ok so I have a 97' accord se (4 cylinder non-vtec).

The car has working A/C. In fact, it works very well. When it started getting cooler out, I noticed that regardless of how much I swore or called down the wrath of the Greek Gods on the car, the heat did not turn on

I figured out through the help of a previous thread on the forum, to check the heating/cooling valve in the engine bay. (near firewall passenger's side) I did and saw that the cable was not attached to the valve. I attached it and had a buddy turn the *** inside the car and saw the valve did not move. I manually turned the valve back to heat ~11 o clock position. I felt the tubes my friend who is a Honda ASE Tech told me to and felt that it was warm like he said it should be. He came over and said that the (blender?) was not working as it is the some unit that controls moving the heating valve.

Is there anything I can check to make my heat that technically works work ? I commute to Atlanta every day and running the ac to keep fog off the windows realllllly sucks.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Old 12-11-2011, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Well, you can wire or twist-tie the valve closed meanwhile to have heat, albeit non-adjustable.

Was the valve hard to move, or the wire did not move in response to turning the temp control ****?

The wire is connected to the heater control under the dash on pax side. Have someone turn the **** while you examine the controls. You should be able to see where the inside end of wire connects to the controls. It may have come loose.

Also make sure the temp control **** is not broken, preventing the control shaft from turning when the **** is turned. they are prone to breakage. New ***** are readily available aftermarket on ebay, et al.

good luck

Old 12-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Download the manual, see the Common DIY Threads sticky at the top of this section......If the **** is broken, replace-can use a pair of pliers on the shaft until you get a new one. If not broken check the blend door where the two cables connect to the arm-one cable from the ****, the other then goes to the heater control valve.

Attached Thumbnails Not sure what to look at to make my heat work which is technically working..-5th-gen-blend-door.jpg