General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

which sensors make fuel/air mixture?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Default which sensors make fuel/air mixture?

hi, i have problems on getting how exactly my car(97 accord 2.2) makes air/fuel mixture?

how many are ther those sensors and what kind of?

air meters/oxigene sensors/lambda zondes etc.

can somone clear this thing up please

Old 04-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Default RE: which sensors make fuel/air mixture?

so far i have found one named HEATED OXYGEN SENSOR in exhaust piping.
is there something else affecting fuel/air mixture ?

i know also about IMA (idle mixture adjust ?? ) screw somwhere for idle mixture adjustment.
something else ??

Old 04-24-2007, 01:52 PM

There are two oxygen sensors (one behind the cat and one on the exhaust) an Intake airflow sensor, your fuel delivery sensors for your injectors (to make sure it dumps in the right amount....) Timing can affect it as well but it doesn't control it persay...

Old 04-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

There's 2 basic types of systems, most cars use one or the other.

Most European makes traditionally use the system with a mass airflow sensor in the intake tube. Mostly Bosch stuff, used on VW BMW Saab etc.

Honda traditionally uses the other type of system without a mass airflow sensor. The amount of fuel delivered is based on throttle position & RPM & intake manifold absolute pressure. Along with 'knowing' the engine's displacement.

Both systems have temperature sensors in the engine'swater jackets as an adjustment to the fuel. Some (including Honda) have intake air temperature measurement too. The temperature sensors have less 'authority' over fuel delivery compared to the primary sensors.

Also both types of systems use the 1st oxygen sensor as a final trim, or a fine-tuning based on actual remaining oxygen in the exhaust.

As far as I know, the 2nd oxygen sensor isn't used by anyone for actual control. It's only used tomeasure whether the catalyst & other emmission control stuff is working properly.

Some engines use a sort of combination of both systems. I think Honda ULEV engines have a mass airflow sensor as a reduntant measurement to achieve even better control of fuel delivery.

Oh yeah... When Bosch/Volvo first started using oxygen sensors, they called it lambda sonde or something like that. So that term pretty much means the same as oxygen sensor.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:15 AM

thank you guys. the picture gets more clear to me now.
at load mixture is based mostly on throttle position sensor, MAP sensor and O2 sensor. (since i checked and there is no airflow meter),
and the secondary thing is engine water temp sensor, intake air sensor, right?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

I'd say temperatures are secondary. Then oxygen sensor is third; like a final fine-tuning.