General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OBD II/CAN code scanners

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 01:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default OBD II/CAN code scanners

I'd like to buy a code scanner for both OBD II and CAN at a price around $200 - does anyone have experiance with code scanners and can recommend a good brand and model??

Thanks...........

Old 06-13-2006, 04:10 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: OBD II/CAN code scanners

i am not sure that 200 dollars is going to get you a good code scanner .. I could be totally wrong but i was under the impression that a good scanner costs a lot more than that ..
as for brands , of course the Honda scanner., Snap-on Modis is the one i use but that's quite a bit more than 200 dollars .
what are you planning on doing with it ? just read the codes ??

do you do a lot of work and have the need of a scanner ?? if not and need to find a code the local AUTOZONE parts store will read the code for free...

Old 06-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Deserthonda, I have (4) honda's at my house with two teanage boys so we are always playing with the cars. I'd like a scanner/reader - not sure what the difference is (I can check on-line) because we frequently have a code pop up on one of our Honda's - we experiment with stuff once in a while. Bottom line, a device that can read the codes. Thanks.

Old 06-13-2006, 08:27 PM

If there's an advance auto near you, you can get one for about 89 dollars. My friend has it and it has worked fine for him.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:54 PM

You can get an excellent scanner for $200. At my school we used a scanner called autoenginiuty and it costs almost exactly $200. I used it a couple of times but it is a pretty good scan tool from my experiances. The scan tools hooks up to a laptop computer (you could use a desktop also) via a USB or serial cable that has the OBD II connector on the end. There is also software that you have to install onto your laptop. I don't personally own it, but when it comes time to buy a scan tool i will buy that one. It allows you to read trouble codes but it also allows you to view live data from something like 12 sensors at once. It will also allow you to flash the PCM (i think). It is both OBD II and CAN compatable. The company has a website so using google should take you to the website, if you have a problem i can try to find it. If you are going to buy a scan tool, you need to make sure that it can view live data as well as reading trouble codes. To me, a scan tool that just reads trouble codes is useless b/c it really limits you as far as diagnosis goes. If you have a PDA, you can also buy a scan tool that hooks onto your PDA. It also reads trouble codes as well as live data and i have alot more experiance using the PDA scan tool. The PDA scan tool i used was pretty good but i still like the laptop one better.

It took me about 2 minutes but i found the website. AutoEnginuity And there is also some sort of new version out as well.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Treaddirt

I'd like to buy a code scanner for both OBD II and CAN at a price around $200 - does anyone have experiance with code scanners and can recommend a good brand and model??

Thanks...........
I found this .. hope it helps

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/obdii.html