General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD question.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 10:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default OBD question.........

OK, I just looked at the plugs on my ecu to find out what version of OBD i have......... and its not OBD0, I, IIa, or IIb....... what version is a freaking 98 accord suppose to have?! Cause all 4 plugs are used. Reason I was checking was because my TPS is off and i cant get a proper voltage test off the connector, so I was going to test it off the ECU...... and....... well needless to say im confused.... and I really have no clue which wire to test now.......

Old 03-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Default RE: OBD question.........

You have OBD II. Every car sold in the United States after 1996 is OBD II. Goto autozone, they will be able to check your code for free. If you don't have any codes, there prolly isn't a problem. If you have access to a Snap On MT-2500, it can pretty much read every car, OBD I and OBD II. For OBD II you should be fine with the MT 2500, but not every1 has it cause its crazy expensive.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:02 AM

If its OBD II its a version other then a or b.... and you couldnt have answered my question so far off from what i was trying to get.

Merry christmas to those who look at this thread
http://www.plxdevices.com/ecudatabase.htm

And I dont have to take the car in for the code when 1 i already know what code it is throwing, It was for the TPS, I needed to find where the TPS wire was on the ECU. Which I found thanks to that link. Side note my TPS was at .97volts at idle which is .47 volts off from what it should be. and 2 You can jump a wire across the ecu harness and find out the general code from the check engine light.
But thank you for your valient effort. ^_-

Old 03-04-2006, 03:10 PM

The thing is that a or b isn't gonna matter. In fact, i've never heard of OBD II A or B and i learned about computer controlled systems last year and im still in school, the teacher hasn't mentioned anything about it. You should be able to read both of these versions with any OBD II scanner. I've used 3 types of OBD II scanners, and i haven't seen anything about A or B so far. And if you want to test a sensor to see what voltage the ECU is recieving, get a scan tool its alot easier than trying to trace the wire back to the ECU. A good scan tool should tell you the voltages that the computer is recieving from every sensor.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:07 AM

well yeah, a good scanner will tell me what the problem is and what the voltage levels are, but i dont have the money at the moment to buy a good scanner..... i already know what the problem is.... so going to someone else and having to pay for something that i can test off the ecu myself is really redundant and a waste of money.... besides my problem is already fixed, and there are 3 or more versions of obd II its just I havent seen anything beyond the obd II a and b mentioned online.... and the version is a reference of which plugs are used.... hence my asking the question so someone could give me an informed answer, not something off base..... and going to someone to having them tell me yeah its off by .47 volts doesnt tell me what it is after i adjust it and then have to waste the time and money again to have a readout done. But yeah, a digital multimeter is a better solution when is already there and it takes all of 10 seconds to jump a wire off the TPS line input. As for an obd reader thats in the works, but not an option for something that had to be fixed the same day.

Old 03-05-2006, 12:18 PM

Just a suggestion, if your gonna buy a reader get a scan tool instead. There is a scan tool that hooks up into the USB or serial port of a laptop. I would recommend getting that over a reader. The laptop scan tool is like ~$150-$200 but well worth it. I don't think the code readers let you look at sensors and readiness monitors, which the scan tool can.

Old 03-06-2006, 12:39 AM

marbro your tps is bad.....being on the new throttle body doesnt change anything, it still just reads closed to wide open, one voltage to another..regardless of the throttle body that its on. something happened to it when you changed it over. get another.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:29 AM

hehe, no, the tps isnt bad ^_- It just needed to be adjusted. And its not working at all the proper voltage levels. How do I know its not bad? because my car works right now. The stock honda tps allows for a few degrees of adjustment based on the factory screw down location. Then from there it can be adjusted from the striker screw. All I had to do was adjust the tps sensor the other direction and that put it right at .5 volts.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:47 AM

if the sensor were actually bad i would be asking questions on where to get a new one..... and no i cant get a new one from honda cause i would never pay 200 bucks for a whole new throttle body when all that would be needed is a TPS. But thats a moot point right now. ^_^