General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD scanner recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Default OBD scanner recommendations?

I plan to buy a scanner to read and reset codes, but don't have a clue if one is better than another. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: OBD scanner recommendations?

2 different classes of scanners. Cheaper ones can read & reset the codes. Better ones can alsoactually display & record data from the ECU. I dont know what brands are better or worse, but you might want to think about whether you want the data recording capability.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

there is a smorgasboard of info at this website;
http://www.troublecodes.net/technical/scaninfo.shtml

My first one was an Auterra on a 'palm'; reads and displays all OBD2 info and reads and clears codes. They sell on Ebay.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:25 AM

ORIGINAL: TahoeTexan

I plan to buy a scanner to read and reset codes, but don't have a clue if one is better than another. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Aside from what Jim posted about displaying code definitions as well, do you need the ability to handle OBD I as well as OBD II?

You can find cheap OBD II scanners for as low as ~$35, while decent scanners that give the code definitions are around $100.

AutoXray CodeScout 2500 is my favorite for OBD I and OBD II and this scanner works incredibly well, is easy to read, displays car specific data, and is extremely durable. For $100 though, the AutoXray CodeScout 1500, with only OBD II ability,is great. They also have a $40 version that doesn't display code information. Chek here for all models with pricing and reviews from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...words=autoxray

I hate that I have this much experience with code readers.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:37 AM

"
Until recently, though, live timing, freeze frame data, and other advanced data tracking was limited to the much more expensive tools meant for professional technicians, leaving the advanced do-it-yourselfer in a quandary. But now, Actron and Equustwo leading brands in the consumer markethave incorporated those advanced features into these new tools."

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Gen-Code-...ch_f_1_rsrsrs0

These are around $150... Hmm... This might be the way to go?

Old 01-06-2009, 09:23 AM

Thanks a lot for the information. I assume I do not need OBD I if I don't have any pre-1996 vehicles.

On another note, wait repair manuals do you guys recommend? I have used Chiltons and Haynes previously but would like something more detailed.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: TahoeTexan
I assume I do not need OBD I if I don't have any pre-1996 vehicles.

On another note, wait repair manuals do you guys recommend? I have used Chiltons and Haynes previously but would like something more detailed.
Yeah... Looks like most OBD I capability is either being phased out or is a seperate software/hardware add-on for most of the higher end scanners.

I would say if all you're looking to do is pull up codes and clear codes, there isn't much reason to spend more than $40. The only advantage to moving up a level (a $40-$60 level) is if you want the code definitions, which is important to me just because it makes things a lot easier. I keep looking at these more expensive scanners (slow day at work) and it all is pretty convincing, but when it all comes down to it, I doubt I would use any of the other features. Who knows.

Another well-known repair manual is AllData, which I think is only available online. It is detailed and I think a one-time membership possible gives you ulimited access to all manuals?

http://www.trustmymechanic.com/manuals.html

I am not sure where you can get those shop manuals mechanics/dealers use.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Helm Inc. makes a good manual, theyre the size of a phone book and are about $80 shipped from them, but every time Ive looked in the past they were sold out.

I dont think AllData is a one-time fee, its either a monthly or annual fee, but the instructions are great. I used their guide for my clutch and timing belt and they get into great detail i.e. one step dedicated to just one connector and the diagrams are complete with bolt torque specs and everything. I would get the Helm over an AllData subscription, but then again AllData has guides for every make and model. My Grandpa volunteers at a tech school so he just prints out AllData for me when I need it....

Old 01-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Several years ago, I created my scanner/monitor by purchasing a used IBM laptop and buying OBD2 adapter and software (OBDScan) from Harrison Engineering. It works great and allows graphic scanning of numerous engine outputs; timing, fuel consumption, air flow, air/coolant temp, throttle position, O2 sensor voltages, etc. I invested about $200 for everything and have never regretted the investment. It's really handy to monitor system when a fault code appears. It can help to pinpoint the fault source.

There are several vendors who offer similar OBD2 adapter and software. I've been well pleased w/ my software/hardware but don't know that it's the best.

I would suggest either go for the bare bones (codes only), or go all the way w/ a custom setup as I described for maximum utility.

good luck

Old 01-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

I have a $40 code reader (Harbor Freight) & it DOES NOT read Hondas.
Theres about 4 different data protocols within OBD-2, & the cheapest readers dont read them all. So be careful...

Theres not much to OBD-1 codes anyway. If you want to be able to read codes for friends who haveolder cars, just read about how to jumper the SCS connector with a paperclip.

Displaying code definitions is sorta nice, but I would look up the details in a Helm repair book anyway. Sometimes its not just the definition, but the whole story of all the potential things that can cause it. Some of which are never captured by thesimpledescription.

www.helminc.com has absolutely thebest repair books for Honda.