General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Paint Chipping

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Default Odd Paint Chipping

Hey guys, Ive got a white 2004 Ex v6 accord with 40K on it. I recently noticed on the right corner of the rear bumper that paint completely chipped off for no reason. The spot is about the size of half dollar coin, also right next to it there is a strip of cracking paint. That runs down about 4 inches. You can see the bare metal underneath. Does anyone know what the problem is? Would this be covered under my extd. bumper to bumper warranty? I'm almost positive that car hasn't hit anything. Please help!!

Old 12-30-2007, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: Odd Paint Chipping

Usual reason for paint damage on the plastic bumper is slight bump which flexes the paint beyond it's ability to stay bonded to the plastic. Dent may pop back and be undetectable, but paint is damaged. Parking lot rash like this is part of modern life, and not much can be done but to repaint the spot. Shops insist entire bumper must be repainted to do the job correctly.

good luck

Old 12-31-2007, 03:27 PM

thanks for the help texashonda. would touch up paint be enough to fix this??

Old 12-31-2007, 03:34 PM

touchup paint would help cover the issue but it won't blend right and it won't have the same finish so it would be noticeable (less so than the peeling paint....) You could call a dealership and ask if they'd cover it but chances are theyd assume it was the result of a small accident of some sort (which is entirely possible...) and not an actuall paint defect.... In fact now that I think about it paint isn't covered...

Old 01-01-2008, 07:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

did you buy the car used? previous owner could have damaged it and half assed the repair.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

my bumper is full of small dings from the previous owner and the fact that its parked in a high school parking lot tons of times.
your options are:
1) take it in to a shop and have them repaint the entire bumper
2) buy some touchup paint, clearcoat, primer, and sandpaper and touchup the spot yourself (although the paint wont match that great)
3) leave it
4) buy some clearcoat and just clearcoat over the empty spot to prevent it from chipping further.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:57 PM

i think i am going to go with nafangos #2 suggestion. i did buy it used but the paint was perfect (i checked the entire car about 5 times for any imperfections). And I just found out it was probably hit because it happened when my mom took it to work and the her van has been banged up a little bit a few times. Anyway, I just have one more question, the area where the chipping is has gotten pretty dirty as I've been driving around in snowy/salty/rainy roads for the past few weeks. I'm afraid to get it washed or even attempt to clean the area because I dont want the chipping to get worse. Any ideas on what type of cleaning product I should use to clean up the area around the chipping before i touch it up?