General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 04:06 PM
Default Oil Filters?

Given that they both use Filtech media, is there any real difference between the Honda Filtech Oil Filter and the Bosch Filtech Oil Filter?

Old 06-25-2015, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Prospector
Given that they both use Filtech media, is there any real difference between the Honda Filtech Oil Filter and the Bosch Filtech Oil Filter?
Very likely yes. Why? Just because Company A makes filters branded with both Company A and Company B does not in any way mean both filters are made to the same specifications.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Very likely yes. Why? Just because Company A makes filters branded with both Company A and Company B does not in any way mean both filters are made to the same specifications.
Thank you, Shipo

So, what would you recommend?

Old 06-25-2015, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

As with oil, for most applications I am an oil filter agnostic. For my Accord I use one of the Fram filters with the gritty band around it for better grip. Why? Because the location of the filter on the V6 motor isn't all that easy to reach and virtually impossible to reach with most filter wrenches.

The thing is, use good quality oil and filters, and the engine will far outlast the rest of the car.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:23 AM

We are in agreement, Shipo... oil & filtration are vital for engine longevity

Years ago, I worked in a plant that produced filters (oil, water and air).. there is a great deal of difference in quality among filters depending upon the design and the type of and amount of media used.

My original question was if anyone knew, for sure, if there was a major difference between the Honda OEM Filtech and the Bosch Filtech... guess I'll do a search on the specs for each, then compare

Thanks again for responding

Attached Thumbnails Oil Filters?-oil-filter.jpg  

Last edited by Prospector; 06-26-2015 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

I usually go with oem filters no matter the make. Usually the price difference is negligible. Unless there is a carbon copy of the filter for sale without the oem part number(like with volvo).

Old 06-27-2015, 12:26 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Prospector
Years ago, I worked in a plant that produced filters (oil, water and air).. there is a great deal of difference in quality
among filters depending upon the design and the type of and amount of media used.

... guess I'll do a search on the specs for each, then compare

Wow; with your background I hope you hang around the forum to contribute every so often!

Old 06-27-2015, 12:51 AM

Thank you, UhOh

Just trying to learn something as I go along

Old 06-27-2015, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Better filtration paper may improve filter performance, but does it make any difference to engine wear? Not much is my guess (I don't know!) The big determinor in engine wear is changing the oil regularly at some reasonable interval.

There's a crowd over at bobistheoilguy forum that endlessly discuss merits of oil, filters, grease, and many other things.

good luck

Old 06-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
There's a crowd over at bobistheoilguy forum that endlessly discuss merits of oil, filters, grease, and many other things.
Endlessly and with plenty of religious fervor; use a decent filter and all will be well with the engine, even after the rest of the car is useless.