General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil light Flashing

Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 PM
JJC
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation Oil light Flashing

96 Honda Accord, 4cyl. VTEC, Auto. 220,000 miles. Yesterday, when having to driving stop and go traffic for 20 min. the oil light started to flash. Pulled over and stopped, started reading manual. Said the light flashes when the pressure dropped for a sec. and recovered ( that means it started working again)??? If Light stayed on then you have NO pressure. I Let car sit for 10 mins. and started it... light went out But came on at first ideal/stop and started flashing again. Parked it over night and today it's doing normal. Light comes on with key on and goes off after eng. starts. Driving around today and SO FAR no problem. Friend looking at the web last night saw one guy that had same problem and replacing the oil pressure sw. fixed the problem. Anyone know if this is common problem with the oil sw. going NUTS? Any one got site for replacing the oil sw. on 96 honda 4 cyl. (youtube or other site). My luck it's under the intake manafold and u need a 10 foot arm to reach it. AND yes it is the first time it has done this... AND yes it has oil in it. Im just happy it worked to get me down to the computer place to write you ... SOS! Update: LATE Afternoon... oil sw. still working normal as before. Checking I found it could be the oil pressure sending unit (oil pressure sw.) AND maybe the oil FILTER. I found that it is a closed sw (it makes contact when eng. is off and oil pressure opens the sw. and turns off the light). Pressure is 3-7 psi. When the pressure drops but comes right back, it closes the sw. and set the light to flashing. I could only reset it, by turning off the eng. for an hour or more (in my case over night when I tried it again). Also found that it is located ABOVE THE OIL FILTER, between the intake. There is a water pipe running between the oil filter and oils sw. so easyest to take off oil filter first to remove the oil sw. I am thinking about replacing both oil filter and sw. Any ideals....

Last edited by JJC; 04-22-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: UPDATE:
Old 04-23-2013, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Check the switch for leaks. Also the "boot" around the switch is prb brick hard and break when you go to remove it.

Other than that....you pretty much have it. Highly suggest OEM switch but that is me.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:06 PM
JJC
Newest Of Newbies
Default Oil Light Flashing

Thanks Poorman212... It's the third day out and still NO problems, PTL! I have learned lots as I was on the web for 2 days. The oil sw is under the Intake manfold and above the oil filter... so its between the oil filter and Intake... so have to take off the filter to see it... and because it's me and my luck there is a water pipe running between the oil sw and the oil filter... sooo even after the oil filter is removed will need a mirror to see all the oil sw (maybe can see it all). Anyway... oil, filter and sw. changes are a good starting place. The thing I learned about is when the pressure drops for a second but come right back up to normal, the dish oil light starts to flash???? The question is how to reset it or how it resets it self??? Another thing I learned was when I went to AutoZone, on their computer they have a repair/ service section were it showed photos of the oil sw location and gave info on how to test it and replace it... samething with replacing the oil pump - photos and info. They printed both out for me at no charged! Good to pass on this info to everyone, they even enlarged the photos on another page. Regards, JC