General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

oil in spark plug tubes

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Default oil in spark plug tubes

Got oil in my spark plug tubes on #2 plug only. I can see it pooled in the bottom when I look down there and when i take out the plug. I had the tube seals replaced abour 2 months ago when i had my valves adjusted. So, should I assume its now the lower rocker arm seals that I should try next to solve this?

Old 01-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Default RE: oil in spark plug tubes

it's either the lowers or an improperly installed upper seal. I'd just buy a set (uppers and lowers) and take it apart, if you find that there is a problem with that seal then I'd just do the uppers, if it looks fine I'd tear into the lower seals.... Either way you'll have to pull the valve cover to know so just get the parts and pull the cover....

Just my $0.02 anyway

Old 01-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Probably the little dinky seals under the rockers assy. are rock hard and seeping
As you are looking down the spark plug tube you can see the seam/crack where they are.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:03 AM

As you are looking down the spark plug tube you can see the seam/crack where they are.
You mean when I look down the tube with the plug out you can maybe see these cracks??

Old 01-03-2007, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

It's not a crack so much as a seam between parts. #19 is the seal we're talking about, & you can see the seambetween the cam bearing caps and the head.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:46 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

go to our DIY section and replace the lower seals,, there is a step by step write up

get the lower rocker arm seals from the dealer , you will need 4 ..if they just replaced the upper seals i am to assume that they are still good and reusable

Old 01-03-2007, 11:42 AM

Cool, thanks for all the advice, I'll go to the dealer and buy those; but I'm a noob' at engine stuff so I'll have my mechanic replace them.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:18 PM

just read through the DIY section and consider doing it yourself so you can get out from under that noob status *L*

Old 01-03-2007, 06:43 PM

hey i replaced my valve cover seal and the spark plug hole seals.. and i still find oil on my spark plug wires..
those spoken as #19 on that pic.. i replaced those and still find oil down there.. im worried..

Old 01-03-2007, 07:17 PM

did you replace the lower rocker arm seals as well or just the upper seals?

Quick Reply: oil in spark plug tubes