General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in spark plug tubes, part II

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Default Oil in spark plug tubes, part II

Ok, so I noticed I have oil in my plug tubes and need to get the seals replaced. I am planning on having my mechanic replace them when they do the timing belt in about a month. I have noticed that within the past two weeks or so, the car is taking longer to start. I mean, it used to just turn over and crank right up instantaneously. Now, it turns over fine when you turn the key, but takes about 5 seconds. In fact, this afternoon, I had to turn the key off, and then back on, which then fired right up. I also noticed the battery light on the dash flickering when I was trying to start it. After it starts up, it runs absolutely perfect. No erratic idle, no sluggishness, nothing. I have not taken off the distributor cap, but the wires are aftermarket (carquest brand).

So, my question is, do you think the oil in the tubes (and on the wires) is directly causing the harder starts? I am guessing that the oil is affecting the spark, thus making it harder to start. What do you think?

This is on the '91, btw.

Last edited by bigdawg74; 07-18-2011 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Clarified which vehicle
Old 07-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

It could be due to the oil in there.

You can try to soak up as much oil as possible using a rag. A turkey baster with a hose attached or a syringe with a thin hose attached should be able to remove a lot of oil and allow you to see if the hard starts go away.

You may want to have the battery/alternator/starter tested at the parts store just to be sure they are working properly.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

^Agree. Might try something, instead of just going thru the key cycles, directly to start, pause at pos II, and let the pump prime till it stops. Then start.

If those wires are black in color with "white" writing/lettering saying carquest then they would be manufactured by prestolite....which happens to be an OE supplier to Honda........ Still need to be tested but should be good once the tube seals are replaced.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:26 PM

When the plug tubes were filling up with oil, on my 92, when the oil got high enough on the plug it would cause the plug in that hole to misfire, and the engine would run really bad. As soon as I took the plug out, and drained the oil, it would run fine again. I didn't have any problems starting it though. That leads me to believe your spark plug tube oil is not causing the hard starts.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:46 AM

PA: will try that. Thank you.
212: will try that, too. Good info about the wires, which they are blk w/ wht lettering.
'Hawk: That is what is baffling me. Once started, it runs just fine.
I will post updates in a little bit. Car is going to sit for a bit, as I need my truck for a few days anyways.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bigdawg74
212: will try that, too. Good info about the wires, which they are blk w/ wht lettering.
Be sure their name (carquest) is in that white lettering.....If their name is there then you have the ones from prestolite.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:47 AM
Default Update

Well, I had the VC gasket and both upper/lower plug seals replaced, as well as all four oil fouled plugs, and the coupe is back in business. And this was after I replaced the radiator last week.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Not to hijack this thread but I have some questions I think the OP would like answered as well.

I'm wondering how oil in the tubes can disrupt cylinder performance? The wire seems to be plugged on really tight to the end of the plug and the other end is threaded in with a crush washer. So the oil is really only trapped in one spot isn't it?

Also if you have the seals changed and then pull the wires and find no new oil can you safely assume the seals are fine? How long does it usually take for oil to build up if the seals are problematic?

Old 07-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Oil in tubes can affect performance by providing a carbon path to ground. Also impurities (moisture) in the oil may also provide a ground path through the oil. It takes a lot of oil to cause a problem.

I had a distributor on an Acura that was not draining and shaft seal allowed oil to get in. It was awash in oil for some time before arcing finally begain to cause hard starts and rough idle. I checked virtually everything before opening the distributor cap to find a flood of oil.

It doesn't take long, perhaps 1-2 days before you'll notice oil in the spark plug tubes if there is a leak.

good luck

Old 07-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

x2 what Tex said. The plugs are not "oil-fouled" because that term means something different. The oil above the plug thread provides a path for short-circuiting the spark current.