General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

One Moody Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Default One Moody Car

Hi-

I bought an '05 Accord V-6 Hybrid brand new a couple of years ago. It's been a great car, but it seems to be awfully moody, performance wise.

It's still in warranty, and I've had them check it and drive it, but they can't seem to get what I get sometimes. It has a tad over 14k miles on it now. Since it's more broken in, it seems to not be as responsive in cold weather at operating temp as in warmer or hot weather. When I first got it, it was just the opposite. In this cold weather, when it's cold, it will scream and go! But let it get operating temperature, it feels like I'm losing a bit of power.

One problem I note every time I drive it, after I make a hard right to turn in to our apartment complex, I get this hesitation, almost stall, which makes me so mad! I know the autostop can do this, but I just don't think that's it. Also, if I've slowed down behind a car turning off, and am about 25 mph, and start to accelerate, sometimes, I feel somehesitance, then I have to tromp it into the next gear, and it will go on. It used to burn rubber when I did that, but lately, not as much. I'm in touch with the shop foreman at the dealership both by email and in person sometimes. The last response I got from him about this was it just has some quirks. Well, a good Honda shouldn't have these kinds of quirks, or should they?

I've tried all kinds of different fuels, octane levels, and it has seemed to help to run a mid or high octane level, though the last time I ran low octane, it seemed to do better since the break in time is on it. I usually put Shell gas in it.

The only thing I've been able to afford to add some pep to it has been the K&N air filter, and it has helped. I'm on a limited budget so can't afford to take it to a costly speed shop. I think if the problem was found and fixed, if it does have a problem, it would be more consistent with it's pep.

The foreman said if the check engine light isn't coming on, then it's probably just some quirks.
Well, I do not like these quirks!

Has anyone else bought a car like mine, and if so, have you noticed it's extreme weather-sensitive moodiness or the other stuff?

Thanks!

05hm

Old 12-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Default RE: One Moody Car

I've noticed weather moodiness in a lot of my cars but as you said usually they work better in cold weather than warm. Based on what you are telling me (if I understand correctly) a Short Ram intake might help smooth things out a bit.

As for the hard turn/stall feeling try turning it just a little less than "all the way" since that puts a bit of strain on the power steering pump and can make it feel like there's a signifigant drop in power. go into a parking lot and turn in a hard circle, slowly back off how sharp you're turning and see if you can feel/hear the difference (roll your window down to help with this)

Old 12-15-2007, 05:39 PM

I should mention that all of the stuff I brought up is based on general knowledge of honda's and cars in general, not on specifics of hybrid's since I've never driven one. I would think that if your hard turn issue is the power steering pump that it would be more noticeable in a hybrid than straight gas vehicle but I could be mistaken... none the less give it a shot and let us know what you find!

Old 12-15-2007, 05:42 PM

Well, I'll be dang! THANKS THANKS so much, sir_nasty! I'm going to definitely give that a shot! I will make a point to mention the short ram intake to the shop guy, and see if he agrees, and make sure it wouldn't void the warranty.

I will also try to lessen the turning angle and see how that goes.

I'm learning so much already!

Thanks again-

05hm

Old 12-15-2007, 05:48 PM

if you do decide to get an SRI (I know it will at least improve throttle response...) search ebay for one and you can get a bomz brand one for like $40.00 shipped with a filter. You don't have to do this right away but if you get the bomz one I'd also suggest you get a K&N or AEM filter that fits on it to replace the one that comes with it (about another $40 or $45). If money is tight just get the intake and then buy the filter when you can afford it.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:53 PM

Sure will, sir_nasty! You are a wealth of information for me!

Many thanks, again.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

personally im not a fan of k&n filters. Sure they flow better and increase horsepower, but the only reason they do that is by letting more crap into your engine. Is it really worth it?

Old 12-15-2007, 11:19 PM

the accord hybrid uses an electric power steering system eliminating any load on the engine. it does not have an alternator either, it uses the ima system for it's power.

i have experienced the 'stall' feeling, but it's from the autostop prepairing to engage but doesn't due to speed and inconsistant brake pedal application. rolling stops are famous for this type of complaint. the accord hybrid is not a sports car, it's an economy car. i know it uses the ima system to suppliment it's already exceptional acceleration habits, but it's still used for economy purposes as well. i'd avoid stopping on the gas until the car is fully warmed up anyway.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:10 AM

Sounds to me like there really is a problem if it didn't do it previously but now does. A CAI may make some small difference, but to my my mind this is like adding a component X to make up for a deficiency in a component Y. You may well feel some improvement, but haven't addressed the problem. A an analogy might be fitting a turbo to make up for worn rings, though less dramatic than this!

You said; "... when it's cold, it will scream and go! But let it get operating temperature, it feels like I'm losing a bit of power", which implies it performs fine when the engine isn't yet at operating temp, but falls flat when it is. Have you considered the oxygen sensor (OS) in the exhaust? This may not be the problem, but to me it sounds like your A/F ratio (air / fuel ratio) might be going off when the engine temp increases to normal oprtating temp.

If the OS isn't working as it should it might be causing the engine to runlean orrich (or maybe both at different moments) when the car is in 'open loop' (open loop being the mode in which the ECU is constantly 'learning' by monitoring various parameters and constantly adjusting timing and injection to suit). Open looptypically occurs on lighter / medium throttle openings after the engine has reached operating temp. When the engine is cold it will run in 'closed loop' (being when the engine ignores some sensors and operates from fixed ignition timing / injection duration 'maps' in the ECU, with no 'learning' occuring). Closed loop typically occurs when the engine is colder, or when you floor it (different 'maps' though).

One of the main sensors for the ECU when operatring inopen loop is the OS. When these malfunction they may well not malfunction enough to trigger a CEL, but may not react as quickly as they once did to changes in exhaust gas oxygen content (they get 'lazy'). This can mean the ECU no longer knows as immediately as it once did the moment to moment oxygen content of the exhaust gas, so can no longer adjust the injection duration as promptly as it should to suit prevailing conditions. This can mean the engine might run lean or rich etc when in open loop, losing power as a result.

When the engine is cold it runs in closed loop, the closed loop map will dictate a richer mixture than usualto suit the colder conditions. This may well be much closer to the correct A/F ratio (for conditions) than the open loop is providing, and performance is thus superior when the engine is cold compared to when it's hot...?

Might not be your problem, but worth considering I think.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:16 AM

I do appreciate all the input. I am definitely going to print off your post, JohnL, to share with the shop foreman. That sure makes sense to me. I've had O2 sensors to go bad on older cars, and never once, would I get a check engine light. 99% of the sensor problems I had never did make it light up. I'm beginning to wonder just how "great" this Honda dealership's techs really are!

To HondatechAV6, true, the car is supposed to be economy, but I've never had a car that would run like this thing until these recent letdowns.Only having a tad over 14k milessure seems early to start having sensor or any type problems, butI'm sure it's not impossible to have them either. I already have foundout that thing can do over 100mph! It's one great machine both for performance and economy. That's another thing I've been noticing. It doesn't seem to get the mpg it has been. I guess that could also be an O2 sensor problem?

Again, my thanks, and I will see what I can find out.

Quick Reply: One Moody Car