General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating - Out of solutions! H E L P!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 05:50 AM
jEsinta
Unregistered
Default Overheating - Out of solutions! H E L P!!!!!!

Hey All!!

Im in desssperate need of help! I have a 93 accord, which when i bought ran like a dream! never caused me annny trouble!! After letting a different mechanic touch her (D'oh!) i have had issues ever since!

The biggest (only..) problem i have is she overheats when driven for anylonger than 30mins or so, or in traffic (idling..). Now this problem started with a crack in the radiator, which i replaced (with the 'new' mechanic). After this i had major problems and ended up having to replace the WHOLE cooling system.. including head, so i was up for a few $$ - which i was cool with as i would have thought the problem would be no more?........... This worked fine for a week or so [:@] then started to over heat, i have tried everything from flushing and burping to replacing more pipes (at some stage she spat a heater hose) most people tell me to check the thermostat - but there isnt one.. removed in the process of trying to figure out WTF was wrong!

It seems as if there is pressure building, but cant find why or where - i have flushed & burped and still feels as if its pressure...

I really have given up on handing it over to someone and forking out big $$ for it to keep happening.....

What should i do? Is there any common problems? any one found the same issue/ know of?

HELP MEEE lol...

Old 02-10-2007, 06:44 AM
Default RE: Overheating - Out of solutions! H E L P!!!!!!

i had a similiar prob but more because of my stupidity, instead of replacing all the old hoses i justkept cutting more of, but more little cracks and cuts kept popping up. you said u replaced all of those but just to let u know i understand the frustrationi had to replace the head gasket , radiator, thermostat. anyway sorry i couldnt be more help there are lots of knowledgeable people on here to help u good luck

Old 02-10-2007, 11:46 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: jEsinta

The biggest (only..) problem i have is she overheats when driven for anylonger than 30mins or so, or in traffic (idling..). Now this problem started with a crack in the radiator, which i replaced (with the 'new' mechanic). After this i had major problems and ended up having to replace the WHOLE cooling system.. including head, so i was up for a few $$ - which i was cool with as i would have thought the problem would be no more?........... This worked fine for a week or so [:@] then started to over heat, i have tried everything from flushing and burping to replacing more pipes (at some stage she spat a heater hose) most people tell me to check the thermostat - but there isnt one.. removed in the process of trying to figure out WTF was w

HELP MEEE lol...
firt off input year and model in the signature so it will always be there..,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I know it is a 93 accord//////////
Now when you say you replaced the whole cooling system .. what exactly was replaced ??
and what do you mean there is no thermostat,, You better install one .........i am assuming the radiator cap was replaced ?? I am assuming there are no leaks ??
If so,, you need to make sure that the fans BOTH FANS are working .. start the car up, put the a/c on and both fans should come on,, that tells us that the fan motors are ok,,assuming the a/c system works properly ........
Now start the car up, let it warm up, .. the lower radiator hose should feel cold ( cool ) till engine gets hot, once engine is hot the top hose and the bottom hose should feel about the same temperature.the top hose will be slightly hotter .....if the lower feels cool ,, you got a bad t-stat.... replace and recheck
assuming t-stat is ok,, when engine gets hot BOTH FANS should come on .......if they do not ,, there is a switch at the t-stat housing 2 wires going to it,green connector , unplug it and jump the connector together, if fans come on you got a bad switch ,, if they still do ot come on and they came on when the a/c was on , let me know we need to trouble shoot further

Old 02-10-2007, 04:32 PM

and what about the mater pump?

Old 02-10-2007, 07:00 PM

that a new kind of pump? lol

Old 02-10-2007, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: drummer1279
that a new kind of pump? lol
LOL keeps that Mater moving around no doubt

All jokes aside I have seen water pumps that had the fins corroded off from acidic coolant.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:39 PM
jEsinta
Unregistered

The fans both work, and there are no leaks. I had removed the thermostat as this was the first issue, and have left it out for the game of elimination lol... As for the radiator hoses, the lower starts off a little cooler then they both get really hot, almost untouchable..

I am not 100% on what was changed over when i had everything replaced, i know it was radiator, head, timing belt, alot of the hoses etc.. Probably another thing to point out, im not sure if this is normal, but doesnt seem so to me.. The water in the radiator seems to bubble up alot, small almost 'fizzy' looking bubbles..

*also cannot imput make mod in sig - as im not 100% as 2 what mod i have :| sad i know....* i can basically give you everything but lol.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:54 PM

from your discription, I would place money on improperly installed or blown head gasket. did they machine the head before they installed it again?

Old 02-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Two simple questions:

1. Are you losing coolant?
2. Did you bleed all of the air out of the system when refilling the coolant?

Old 02-19-2007, 07:55 PM

Ok,. no t-stat, new pump, new radiator, repalced the head , fans work, no coolant leaks, new radiator cap, and still overheat

I have to agree with Yeu,, you might have a blown head gasket, cracked head, cracked block ,

have a shop do a leak down test