General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating problem - New user!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 05:31 PM
Question Overheating problem - New user!

Hey everyone, I'm posting on my girlfriends behalf. She has a 1996 honda accord LX 4 cylinder. I'm not sure if both the electrical fans work, but I know one does for sure, I'm not sure when and how they work. But anyway, when shes idling her car starts to overheat, and goes back to normal as shes driving. I'm thinking theres a fault and only 1 fan is working, but just lookigng for insight. How do the fans work and when do they work? Can someone please clarify? Thanks a bunch. Also, if any of you know what might be wrong how can I troubleshoot and fix it myself? Thanks everyone!

Old 06-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
Old 06-30-2014, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
I just tried most of that stuff, neither of the fans come on when A/C is on, so I'm guessing none of the fans work. But it still blows cold air. I checked the fuses and relays and they're all good. Any other ideas?

Old 06-30-2014, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

1. If you unplug the electrical connector on the engine coolant temperature switch A (located on the thermostat housing) and jump it with a small paper clip or wire, then turn the ignition switch to ON; both cooling fans should run.

2. You can also apply direct battery power and ground to the motors, as stated in the other thread. The A/C condenser fan motor connector is easier to get to than the connector for the radiator fan motor.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
1. If you unplug the electrical connector on the engine coolant temperature switch A (located on the thermostat housing) and jump it with a small paper clip or wire, then turn the ignition switch to ON; both cooling fans should run.

2. You can also apply direct battery power and ground to the motors, as stated in the other thread. The A/C condenser fan motor connector is easier to get to than the connector for the radiator fan motor.

I just tested the A/C condenser fan and it didn't work, I jumped it several times and nothing.

I will do the thermostat housing one in a minute.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:35 PM

I jumped it, and nothing, neither one of them works.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

1. In one of the stickies (DIY and common info thread) at the top of this forum section, there are links to the service manual if you need them. The 94-95 Accord manual should suffice to see the instructions on fan motor replacement.

2. You can just get the motor instead of the whole fan assembly from a parts store. If you get just the motor, you may have to splice the wires.

3. See post #4 in this other thread for some other info. on fan replacement:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...ell-off-56001/