General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Overheating - White Smoke

Old 07-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
From what I've also read, I'm thinking head gasket also..
can a head gasket be blown if it is still getting 138-140 compression in all cylinders?

Old 07-05-2012, 03:07 PM

have you tested the spark with a device like this?

Economy Spark Tester [RO1754] - $5.99 : BG's Engine Clinic :: Putting the POWER back in Power Equipment

leave the spark plug in your engine and pull the wire off it, then plug this in and attach it to a ground on the car. Angle it so that someone can see if a spark is created (you can also hear it arc when it fires) when you turn over the engine you will hear a snap snap snap snap if its good. (If its dark you’ll see a spark jump too). I think you aren’t getting spark at all. This test will prove it.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I know this is how we all feel here so confused and are coming up with maybe a sensor?? because we have fuel,Its trying to start have compression,then what else could it possibly be but a sensor?2 mechanics here are completely stumped?

Last edited by PAhonda; 07-05-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

yep tested them along with the distributor and rotar and ignition coil first as this was my first diagnosis(the most reasonable issue)but they are all good then did the head compression test was fine.did the fuel pump test fuel came out so it has fuel..I really need a chiltons at this point does anyone have one?

Last edited by PAhonda; 07-05-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

How are you testing for spark?

Old 07-05-2012, 03:25 PM

Test your spark with that tester. Its cheap and a great device to have in your tool box.

Once you have confirmed 100% no doubt that you have spark then think about timing. O2 sensors will not cause your engine not to run. I am not aware of any sensor that will prevent your engine from running. The computer can cut power to the fuel injectors, that is on the Main relay. Controls the fuel pump and injectors. If you have spark and fuel no sensor is interfering.

Again though I don’t think this is the issue because the car would have fired with the ether. I firmly believe there is no spark at the plugs. That’s not to say other parts of the system are not good but something is preventing spark.

The other option I was thinking of is you have stuck valves, but I don’t like this very much because you would have to have a stuck valve on all the cylinders (which could happen if the engine over heats I guess) but this is highly unlikely. Not to mention you would get a back fire more than likely

Your engine will fire or backfire at the least if it has Spark – fuel – compression – rotation one of these elements is missing, or timed wrong.

Start with the spark tester and we’ll go from there.

Last edited by Silver6gen; 07-05-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
How are you testing for spark?
we used a test light to check the spark plugs and they all lit up while attempting to start the car.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:43 PM

It is possible that there is current going through the lines that the test light is picking up but it may not be enough to fire a sufficient spark. This is why I like the tester that I linked to. It shows 100% that a spark is occuring. Retest for spark. This would point to a bad coil (usually)

And to answer the top of this page question. Yes while unusal it is possible to have a blown head gasket and still reach acceptable compression numbers, it depends on how it fails. However they will decline as the gasket continues to deteriorate.

The other option for blowing white smoke is a cracked block, which would have reared its ugly head by now.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:58 PM

I am rereading the OP and trying to run this through in my head. I need some more info.

1. When the exhaust was “shooting” water… realistically how much was coming out? A continuous drip, a steady flowing tap amount or an huge amount?

You said it use to only shoot oil out. Was it an oil burner? how much was it consuming

2. When it went out did it make any sounds? If so explain them vividly
3. How long was it running poorly for? What were the symptoms?
4. Did it get progressively worse before it went out?
5. What color is the car

Old 07-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

(when it first broke down)before I had it towed at the walgreens where it broke down it had white smoke out exhaust twice(with water Im assuming since it had no color or odor) while trying to get it to start.Which is the only time Ive seen anymore of the white smoke(only tried twice as when i saw it i knew it was the head was so sure of it)Thankfully My neighbor lives seriously right next to walgreens so he pulled me home with his big truck confirming my head gasket diagnosis with me at the time.Who also is one of the mechanics trying to fix it and debunk it.He is stumped as well with diagnosis of timing slip too now?

Would the white smoke when i tried to restart my car have been or could have been a backfire?It made no sound that i was aware of(radio poped on as soon as i turned the key) and it was just a little white smoke not like parking lot full but like small smolder with fluid in the exhaust(which i was convinced a blown head but with it getting 138-140 compression how is this possible? and again this was right after changing the radiator.ONLY 2 hours after!which shouldnt have anything to do with that right??
It hasn't smoked anything else out the exhaust on all the test starts we have tried along with all the test we have done?Which it almost starts but cant make a complete spark?With no MORE SMOKE (head gasket it would for sure still be smoking right even if didnt start completely?correct?

The stuck Valves is a new issue I never thought of as it is kinda out there u know.but right now who knows! And again it would crank with the either still if this was so? correct?Or no?

I totally agree with>Your engine will fire or backfire at the least if it has Spark.

so then I'm back to the timing?Which is out their too since i ran the car for 3 days!We never even got the bolt off,but the 500 impact wrench maybe Jared it?My dad says no way it couldn't have but seriously i cant think of ANY other reason?And we did attempt to change the water pump but did not have the torch handy and figured a 500 impact could do it ..NOT!so we put it all back together never touched the timing belt.

And I do know if it was a sensor it wouldn't even attempt to crank!right? especially a map sensor If it even has one?? or..any of them as i do know hondas have what 4 diffident ones at lease?but with out the chiltons I'm lost on that.I do know their is a web site u can look up a chiltons.Im not sure of the web sites address now since its been a while since I actually needed one??Anyone know the web page??
but really i don't see how it will help because the car is getting everything it needs to fire and start?My father is convinced it is timing or the engine control modulator thing?He tells me the engine control modulator if this is what its called even (no chiltons) could cause it to not send the right spark/fuel to start?But Im with u their on that one.It shouldn't interrupt it to start because it HAS SPARK!

So it has to be the timing or the valves being stuck how would I do a test to see if they are stuck?
Never had any backfires on attempt to start (unless this was one)>the white lil cloud of smoke with some water in exhaust but never made a sound and this all happened only twice the same day it stopped completely starting?nothing since then and no leaks anywhere as it is sitting on some Large cardboard right now?

My car has two knowledgeable mechanics stumped and me ( i know allot about hondas but not a professional or anything) It has to be something like valves being stuck or the timing something so far out their unbelievably Insane as it is getting spark?

sorry for so many Questions and the essay here but as u can read this is so bizarre And completely confusing the heck out of me.It really makes me miss my lil CRX even more!It was such a lil easy car to maintain!

Last edited by PAhonda; 07-05-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating - White Smoke