General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating - White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Toni Caudell
Yes the engine attempts to crank with the spark plugs removed

yes Battery has enough juice to crank

No water in the oil

Cylinder head compression is at 138-140

Blew out the white smoke once and hasn't completely cranked over again since.when it blew out the white smoke it had a smell of carbon like a clogged catlack converter but the exhaust is getting airflow out of it?(did hand over exhaust to check)

While attempting to crank it now it Is getting spark but something is keeping it from not getting the right spark to fire?
I am sorry but still not sure I follow.

When you try to start the car does the engine rotate completely as though it is wanting to start but doesn’t have the fuel or spark? You know the sound “ruh ruh ruh”

Based on what you said that it attempts to crank this makes me think that it turns like ½ or 1/4th turn and will not turn anymore this would sound more like a “ru……….”

If it is making revolutions and you haven’t changed the order of the wire order on the distributor cap then I’d go to the fuel side.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by Silver6gen
I am sorry but still not sure I follow.

When you try to start the car does the engine rotate completely as though it is wanting to start but doesn’t have the fuel or spark? You know the sound “ruh ruh ruh”

Based on what you said that it attempts to crank this makes me think that it turns like ½ or 1/4th turn and will not turn anymore this would sound more like a “ru……….”

If it is making revolutions and you haven’t changed the order of the wire order on the distributor cap then I’d go to the fuel side.
Yes the engine is turning over completely its a strong RUH,RUH,RUH and seems to not be getting the spark at the right time or something.We have checked the fuel pump and it is getting fuel.what else fuel side could be the cause?We were thinking Maybe some kinds of sensor?

Old 07-05-2012, 11:20 AM

The simple test is to get a can of starting fluid and have someone spray it into the throttle body while you crank the engine. If it fires then you know it’s a fuel issue if it doesn’t then you know it’s a spark issue.

Then continue on to the following

replace your spark plugs then check to make sure that your plug wires are connected to the right spot on the distributor. If they are mixed up the car will either not fire at all or hit on 2 or less cylinders.

If that doesn’t work You will need to test the fuel pressure at the rail.

Redbul posted the procedure for my car, I’m assuming that its very similar for the 94 F22.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/02-accord-f23a4-stalls-when-hot-48102/page5/

If it comes in spec then get a timing light and check to confirm proper engine timing.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Redbul posted the procedure for my car, I’m assuming that its very similar for the 94 F22.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/02-accord-f23a4-stalls-when-hot-48102/page5/
The fuel pressure test procedures for the 1994 Accord are different than the 2002 Accord. See attached pics. for procedures for the 94 Accord 4 cylinder.

Here are some links to check ignition system and fuel injectors:

Part 1 -Honda Igniter, Ignition Coil Test (1.5L, 1.6L, 2.2L, 2.3L)

Part 1 -Honda Accord, Prelude Distributor Test

Part 1 -Fuel Injector Test (Honda 2.2L, 2.3L).

Attached Thumbnails Overheating - White Smoke-1994-accord-fuel-pressure-test-1.jpg   Overheating - White Smoke-1994-accord-fuel-pressure-test-2.jpg  
Old 07-05-2012, 12:18 PM

thank you for the correction redbull

-Reed

Old 07-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The simple test is to get a can of starting fluid and have someone spray it into the throttle body while you crank the engine. If it fires then you know it’s a fuel issue if it doesn’t then you know it’s a spark issue.

Then continue on to the following

replace your spark plugs then check to make sure that your plug wires are connected to the right spot on the distributor. If they are mixed up the car will either not fire at all or hit on 2 or less cylinders.

If it comes in spec then get a timing light and check to confirm proper engine timing.
We sprayed either into the throttle body while trying to start and it still wouldn't crank all the way over.

The spark plugs and wires are new and all in the right firing order.

We checked the fuel pressure from the fuel pump and it shot out strong on trying to crank so its getting fuel for sure.

My fathers timing light is at his shop and hour away. Is their another way to check your timing without the light?If not I can wait till my neighbor gets home from work and he has one.

WE here have pretty much narrowed it down to a timing or sensor?
could it be a sensor even? Im not very familiar with the sensors for the 94 accord

Old 07-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Administrator

From what I've also read, I'm thinking head gasket also..

Old 07-05-2012, 02:50 PM

If you have spark, fuel, compression and revolutions then it should fire and turn over.

So something is missing here. I have two ideas neither are good.

1. the blown head gasket is allowing water / coolant to be brought in on the down stroke of the intake and it causing the fuel air mixture to become incombustible.
However it should have fired atleast a bit when the eather was sprayed in...

2. Your timing is off. But if the car was running fine and then stopped running fine IDK how this could happen unless the timing belt jumped a tooth or the rotor is misaligned. Which is rare.

You are SURE that you have spark?

And also just a friendly note; saying that the car doesn’t crank means that it wont turn revolutions necessary for starting. What is happening here is the engine is cranking but not catching. Just FYI that’s why I was confused for a bit.

Last edited by Silver6gen; 07-05-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The fuel pressure test procedures for the 1994 Accord are different than the 2002 Accord. See attached pics. for procedures for the 94 Accord 4 cylinder.

Here are some links to check ignition system and fuel injectors:

Part 1 -Honda Igniter, Ignition Coil Test (1.5L, 1.6L, 2.2L, 2.3L)

Part 1 -Honda Accord, Prelude Distributor Test

Part 1 -Fuel Injector Test (Honda 2.2L, 2.3L).
yes we have tested the distributor.Cap,Rotor and ignition coil.We did this first actually assuming it was the ignition coil but is all good?

I will have the fuel injectors checked soon too with an ohms.Even tho the either(eather)(starter fluid) didn't work to crank my car over could it still be an issue? A pretty good amount of fuel came out of the fuel pump when we tested it.Is it possible the injectors are staying open and causing too much fuel?I do not ever smell any fuel while driving?but my car did run kinda crappy the 3 days before it stoped running only at stop lights.then when i went to go had all power no loss of any?

Old 07-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

yes my father is saying he thinks it jumped a tooth too but its not common

Last edited by PAhonda; 07-05-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Overheating - White Smoke