General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1457 on a 1998 honda accord 4cyl. need help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 05:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Jim, Got a multi meter tool and some wires (hopefully jumper wire)..Will get the vaccum detector.

But this is what confuses me on 11-152

"Turn the EVAP canister purge valve with the Honda PGM Tester and then connect ECM/PCM connector terminal A6 to bodyground with a jumper wire"

For one, it seems like I need a PGM tester. What is A6 where do I find that and what is body ground? Is there a you tube video on one of those tests with the jumper wire. Dont want to blow up more fuses or worse the ECU doing a novice job.

Tutlehead, My EVAP canister and the valve attached to it was changed 6 months ago. As I mentioned, the mechanic changed the gas tank and the P1457 came on the next day and has not gone since resetting it 3 times already. I suspect one of the hoses or the connectors like the parts I mentioned above. For e.g. the last test on 11-152 is for ORVR. I think given what I have gone through I may have to do that as the first test. The problem is I have to remove the inner fender for that.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:55 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Also, 1998 - 2002 Honda Accord ECU - AllPinouts

Seems like there are 4 conenctors. Where on the honda do we have these?

Old 06-16-2016, 09:21 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Took it to the dealership.
He says it is the purge valve and wants 350 dollars for it (BTW, where is the purge valve located?) . I asked him if my check engine problem is related to that and would go away permanenty and he says cannot guarantee ..and he says it could be one of the long list and he has to fix this first and then go the next item on the list.

I asked him if he notices anything wrong with other items like the newly installed gas tank and he says he has not checked it. Crap!..That is why I came to him. The mechanic has taken the car back inside. Hopefully does some basic common sense test like "Hey gas tank changed..lets check the connections are good". I strongly feel it is the way the gas tank has been hooked up and hoping I can jump to some of the tests related to it rather than doing all the 10 steps.

IF he cannot conclusively say will not spend any more on this science project with them. Might as well do my own science project (with hopefully a lot of help from this forum).

Jim, I notice you have covered this thoroughly.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-1999-a-27179/
Is there a video somewhere for each one of them ?

Last edited by dsat; 06-16-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by dsat
Took it to the dealership.
He says it is the purge valve and wants 350 dollars for it (BTW, where is the purge valve located?) . I asked him if my check engine problem is related to that and would go away permanenty and he says cannot guarantee ..and he says it could be one of the long list and he has to fix this first and then go the next item on the list.

I asked him if he notices anything wrong with other items like the newly installed gas tank and he says he has not checked it. Crap!..That is why I came to him. The mechanic has taken the car back inside. Hopefully does some basic common sense test like "Hey gas tank changed..lets check the connections are good". I strongly feel it is the way the gas tank has been hooked up and hoping I can jump to some of the tests related to it rather than doing all the 10 steps.

IF he cannot conclusively say will not spend any more on this science project with them. Might as well do my own science project (with hopefully a lot of help from this forum).

Jim, I notice you have covered this thoroughly.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-1999-a-27179/
Is there a video somewhere for each one of them ?

They found a small leak from the fuel tank.
17550 s84 a01
17725 s84 a01.

They have to drop the tank seems like

Old 06-16-2016, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

No I didn't make videos of that stuff. Didn't think about posting all those instructions until more & more people asked about the same thing here on the forum.

EVAP purge valve is mounted on the intake manifold, very close to the throttle body. It's on the parts drawing for "THROTTLE BODY".

There's a lot of alternate terms for the various valves. When Turtlehead says the shutoff valve, I think that's the vent-shut valve (17310-S0X-A02). It mounts directly into the side of the EVAP canister.

And he's right, if mine clicked when I energized it with jumper wires, I would have had to actually test its function with a MityVac & a gauge. And after I fixed that, if the error code came back I would have had to do further testing to find the next problem.

The PGM tester allows you to command the valve actions directly. Without that, you have to unplug the wires from the valve & make up jumper wires to energize the valve & see if it operates.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So 138 dollars later seems like they have concluded what I thought it was from day 1.

Those 2 parts are the ORVR and the tube. Not sure where the tube connects to on the other end. (Please dont tell me it is the part 30 in http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_p...onGroupID=3226

The dealer wants 600 for it. There is no way I can afford doing this..and there is no guarantees the local mechanic will do it right Anyway I can cut through the trunk and not have to drop the tank? .

Also,

Last edited by dsat; 06-16-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know much about the ORVR system because I never had to fix it while I owned that car. Unfortunately it looks like that stuff is connected on top of the tank. Look in your parts drawings under "FUEL TANK".

To be honest, I probably wouldn't want to cut through the trunk on my car, but you might not have a better option. I'll leave that & hope someone chimes in who has actually worked on that system.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I don't know much about the ORVR system because I never had to fix it while I owned that car. Unfortunately it looks like that stuff is connected on top of the tank. Look in your parts drawings under "FUEL TANK".

To be honest, I probably wouldn't want to cut through the trunk on my car, but you might not have a better option. I'll leave that & hope someone chimes in who has actually worked on that system.
NP Jim, although do you know if the ORVR tube connects to the EVAP canister directly? That I am not sure.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Page 11-144 in your shop manual shows locations of stuff. Nothing says "ORVR" but I think that's the fuel tank vapor control stuff - on top of the tank. Page 11-162 starts out by saying "remove the fuel tank" (they make it sound so simple).

Old 06-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Page 11-144 in your shop manual shows locations of stuff. Nothing says "ORVR" but I think that's the fuel tank vapor control stuff - on top of the tank. Page 11-162 starts out by saying "remove the fuel tank" (they make it sound so simple).
Live in a condo where they will cite me for doing major work on the car..if not, I would have been game.....Planning to cut open like what rjpnk did in this thread: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...d-27756/page2/

Pinged him...Hope to get some inputs.

Quick Reply: P1457 on a 1998 honda accord 4cyl. need help!