General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this paint Alright?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Default Is this paint Alright?

Hello,

I have quite abit of rust on my car that i repaired and since my car is a 95 honda accord, its normal because the owner i bought it from obviously didnt take much care of it. Its my first car so im looking for a half decent cheaper paint job. I have a friend that has a few cars and knows how to paint. Im just looking for paint.

Now i found some paint from Cmax? I believe, Napa auto partd recommended me this paint supplier? I guess it's Napas painting company...

Anyways, the guy there quoted me with a base coat / clearcoat paint, which is what i want.
Its a red paint, same colour as my oem paint, and he gave me a quote for enough to paint the whole car. It included hardner, paint, primer, activator, and clearcoat. And the price was only 317$ plus tax. Does this seem right? Or is it a crappy crappy paint? Is Cmax trusted?

Also, say i had an extra 100$ what would make it look better? Getting a better base coat or a more expensive clearcoat?

Thanks

Louis

Old 08-24-2011, 07:59 PM

You can paint your whole car for much less. This guy did it for $180
Roll-On Paint Job - Imgur

And there is a guy halfway down this page who did his Charger for $50.
moparts: paint job on a budget!?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I can say that when it comes to paint jobs, you pay for what you get, unless you either know the person doing it or you can help out with the process.

Now on the other hand, I have done a few spray paint jobs on a few civic hatches that I have owned. And even with "rattle cans", the job will always look better with the more time and effort you put into the prep work.

Also to comment on the post above, the guy who did the paint job with rollers seems to have a good cheap way to go about painting a car.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Tell us how you repaired your rust problem.
If the rust was not repaired correctly then any paint you put over it will not last long.
Unless you cut out the rust and welded in new metal, the rust WILL be back - that is a fact.
How did you repair the rust?

Old 08-25-2011, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by crispin
Tell us how you repaired your rust problem.
If the rust was not repaired correctly then any paint you put over it will not last long.
Unless you cut out the rust and welded in new metal, the rust WILL be back - that is a fact.
How did you repair the rust?
I removed all the rust and paint around where the rust was with a paint and rust remover tool from canadiantire. From there i could tell where the rust had led too and removed it. Then i added a panel and welded it on, i sanded it down and added fiberglass resin to make it look nice like part of the car. But yes all rust was removed. And the paint i was offered for 350$ doesnt come with labour. Just paint. Im planning on doing it myself. Is this paint decent quality?

Thanks for everyones replies. Louis

Old 08-25-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by louisgreen14
I removed all the rust and paint around where the rust was with a paint and rust remover tool from canadiantire. From there i could tell where the rust had led too and removed it. Then i added a panel and welded it on, i sanded it down and added fiberglass resin to make it look nice like part of the car. But yes all rust was removed. And the paint i was offered for 350$ doesnt come with labour. Just paint. Im planning on doing it myself. Is this paint decent quality?

Thanks for everyones replies. Louis
I've never heard of Cmax, but I'm sure it's fine paint, and as long as you do good prep work it should turn out fine. At the same time, you can easily do one of the cheaper paint jobs just as easily and save yourself a couple hundred bucks if you're comfortable with the instructions. The end result is still a very nice paint job and I'm sure you can get the color you want. Just something to ponder! In the end that's a good price for the paint and it sounds like you've done enough prep to get a good final result.