General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint repair help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Default Paint repair help needed!

Forum Gurus,
I recently made a post inquiring about how to repair some minor paint chips and some rust creeping under the paint. The affected area includes some scrapes around the rear window and few chips on the hood. The scrapes around the rear window show some rust that is spreading under the paint and causing it to bubble.

It is worth noting that the chips are on metal surfaces and are not very large, at most the size of a dime in one spot. The areas that have rusted are around the rear window and it will not be terribly obvious if a less than perfect job is done in that location. The chips on the hood have not shown rust so I think that some touch-up paint will do the job there, thus avoiding the grinding.

A member previously replied that the only way to fix the problem is to sand the area, prime, and paint. I would like to do this for the rusting portions around the rear window but I do not have any body shop type of equipment such as electric sanders or a paint sprayer. Is there a way that I can fix these paint chips on my own without significant equipment investment? Where can I get the correct paint/paint colors?

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Paint repair help needed!

you could always do multiple very thin coats with a small paintbrush, then sand it smooth to take out the streaks.
no guarantees on how it will work though.
or you could buy a cheap airbrush at harbor freight, i think their like $5 or something.

you dont need electric sanders, just some wet sandpaper. you can buy it at walmart.

just painting over rust does nothing... it will slow the spread temporarily but wont do anything beyond that.