General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-Honda Repair Help Needed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Default Non-Honda Repair Help Needed!!!

Hi folks...a girlfriend of mine has a 95 Mercury Tracer and when she was driving it down the highway the other day it just simply stopped running. Now the car tries to start but won't catch a spark I guess. The motor runs fine and so does the tranny so we think this is an electrical issue maybe. Here has what has been done so far with no luck:

1) Fuses all checked...all good

2) All fuel filters checked and fuel pump...all good

3) Rotor and distributar cap replaced

4) Spark plugs, plug cables and coil replaced.

The car just won't seem to fire the fuel and they can't figure it out (her father in law has been doing the work) and they are out of ideas.

So, I come here to ask some of you fine mechanics for some advice that I can relay to her and her father in law. Are there any other steps that need to be taken or any ideas on what the problem might be???

Any and all help appreciated ;-)

peace out,
daddy

Old 12-18-2010, 12:21 AM

check if the timing belt hasn't snapped, then check if distributor/coil are getting power if they are getting sufficient voltage and your not getting spark then the icm/igniter maybe bad.
good luck

Old 12-18-2010, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator

I am not familiar with that setup at all. I think that you will have to determine if the problem is lack of spark or lack of fuel.

It may be worthwhile to pickup a Haynes manual from the parts store. It will tell you how to check codes and other useful items. I would definitely check for error codes.

Spark can be verified by putting a timing light on each spark plug wire and seeing if there is enough spark to flash the light. If you don't have one, then you can pull a spark plug and ground the threads and see if you have a good spark. This method is not a reliable though. This is shown in the tegger site linked in the sticky at the top of the gen tech help forum.

If the Mercury has a standard schrader valve on the fuel rail, you can test fuel pressure. The parts stores may rent out the fuel pressure tester. Not sure about that though.

If you live near an O'Reilys, they can test the ignition module for you.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A quick way to check for fuel or spark is to spray starter fluid or throttle body cleaner into the throttle body intake, and attempt to start. If fuel problem, the car will start and run briefly. If ignition problem, then no-start will continue.

Once you get past fuel or fire issue, post back for additional guidance.

good luck

Old 12-27-2010, 05:18 PM

Just wanted to post back to let you all know they finally got someone with the ability to figure out the codes and it is showing "timing belt!" They are lucky it is one of those cars that does not lose the motor after the belt breaks so they are now getting ready to tackle the job. That explains everything!!! Just wanted those who helped to know and thank you for all your input. Brokanic...right on the money bud ;-)

Thanks to all again

peace out,
daddy