General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Parking brake doesn't work...

Old 09-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Parking brake doesn't work...

I tried rolling forward and applying the parking brake but it doesn't work at all.

I thought something was up with it because if you pull the level it goes straight up with no force required. Compared to a 95 Accord I have where the brake takes effort and only goes up about half way.

In addition if you park the 95 on an incline and apply the parking brake, after letting go of the brake pedal the car stays still. On the 93 if you apply the parking brake and then remove foot from brake pedal the car lurches back exactly as if you had not used the parking brake at all.

I'm going to say there's something wrong with the parking brakes. Maybe the previous owner had them on and rode around with it and wore them out or something? What would I be looking at in terms of fixing and price?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:12 PM

What do you have for rear brakes ? Drum or disc ? If rear disc brakes then you can have some one applying e-brake handle while you inspect and see if the cables are moving or not.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

This is on the 93, it is late for me so give me a break.

Does the 93 have drum brakes, pretty sure it does. If you do the work, we can help, I'd say this is ~$50. I'm hoping it is not something with the cables which would add to this....but I'd suggest checking the front and do all that are needed at one time.

EDIT: I see Piggy posted while I was typing

Old 12-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Alright, I'm ready to take care of this issue now.

How can the e-brakes be fixed for ~$50.00? Like what's the procedures involved in doing this?

Old 12-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Almost A Senior Member

It used to be when you bought the rear brake kit, it would include the self-adjusters for the parking brake, along with the brake shoes for drum brakes...I don't know if that is still the case though...

Old 12-03-2011, 06:46 AM

If you have rear drum bks I bet thay just need adjustment an dor the self adj. is froze up take the brks apart and free up self adj. and readj.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with joe that the rear prob just need adjusting....I'd pull the drum and inspect the shoes first, also while there look at the adjuster assy.

Do you have a brake spoon, just makes this a whole lot easier, can be done with a flat head screw driver.....spoon=2 min....flat head=10min

If the shoes are good, adjuster is not stuck, install drum, using the access hole on the backing plate, adjust the shoes until there is a "slight" drag on the drum when you spin it by hand.

If this works you haven't spent anything but time......if anything is worn, leaking or not working (adjuster) then money comes into play....even if the adjuster is stuck, try removing, cleaning, lubing and see if that will free it up before replacing.

If you have to remove the shoes, let me know, I can give a pointer or two to make this easy...