General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Break stuck on '03 Honda Accord

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Default Parking Break stuck on '03 Honda Accord

Hi, I was hoping some of the experts here might have some advice for me. I drive a 2003 Honda Accord DX, 4 cyl, manual transmission and ran into a odd problem this morning. I typically use my parking brake and leave my car in neutral (not sure if this is a bad practice), and came to my car this morning, released the brake, but my car won't move. When I try to use reverse or 1st gear it's almost as if the car still have the parking brake engaged. I called a local mechanic who told me tug on the parking brake line to loosen it up, but haven't had any luck. It feels loose. I should note I haven't drove the car in about 4 days or so.

Was wondering if anyone here might have some suggestions? My apologies, I'm not well informed on fixing cars, so the more detailed information the better

Thank you for any advice

Old 10-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

first, get an assistant and either you or them engage the parking brake and the other should get dirty on the ground and look behind the rear wheel where the cable goes into the assy. does it move when the brake handle is pulled and released? also, i'll assume you have rear drums based on the trim level of the car. if you have access to a jack (not the one in the trunk) jack up the rear and pull the wheels off and see if you can move the brake drum freely.

all i gotz right now...report back.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:47 PM

I had someone engage and release the brake and the line tights and loosens when they do this. I can not see where it actually connects (not sure of wording) to the wheel. There are parts in the way which block my view

I do not have a jack other than the one in the trunk, so I don't think I'll be able to remove the wheels.

Would it cause damage if a towing company moved it?

Old 10-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

you could leave it in neutral and have them drag it from with the front wheels on the ground.