General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

"passed" smog by plugging Dist. Vacuum hose

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:31 PM
skinnytexan
Unregistered
Default "passed" smog by plugging Dist. Vacuum hose

I was just given a car by a friend. '89 Accord LXi. To complete the transfer I had to have it smogged. I failed horribly the first time, so I had the oil changed, new fuel/air filters, new O2 sensors and plugs put in. Mechanic told me the timing was fine - set to 15. Went back to smog station and still failed - until the inspector plugged the distributor vacuum hose with a golf tee. Then I magically "passed". Even though I have my paper that says I'm all good, I don't want to be a polluter. Based on this, can anyone tell what needs to be fixed? Dist Cap? Timing (this inspector also told me the timing was really at 7, not at 15.)?

Thanks

Last edited by skinnytexan; 10-12-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

You can download an 86 shop manual from the online manuals link in the DIY section. That is the same generation as your accord, so the information should be relevant to your 89. I am almost positive that spooner tuner site I posted has that shop manual.

Look at the first section to identify if your accord is KX, KQ, etc... by getting that information from your engine serial number. Its under the general info then chassis and engine codes.

Then look at the Electrical Section and the engine electrical sub-section to see what your ignition advance should be set at on your accord.

It looks like the ignition advance system is vacuum controlled, so I have no experience with that type of setup. Run the tests suggested in the shop manual.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

The vacuum acts against a spring to advance the timing. If that's messed up, the vacuum will advance the timing way too much (more NOx & failure). That manual probably has a test for the distributor's vacuum advance mechanism. Something like a table for vacuum (inches Hg) against degrees of advance?

Old 10-17-2009, 06:12 PM
skinnytexan
Unregistered

It turns out that it was a corroded distributor cap. Since I have no experience under the hood beyond oil changes, I wouldn't have been able to diagnose and fix this. New cap and thermostat and my fuel consumption has dropped precipitously!

Old 10-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

sounds like car has a leaky vacc advance unit.. get a vacc pump, disconnect the hoses going to the vac adv unit at distr,, apply vacc to nipples and make sure that vacc does not drop,, if it does,, vacc adv unit is leaking and needs to be replaced ....

if vacc adv unit ( inner port ) leaks it will not adv timing properly ........... timing will be retarded ,,