General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

PGM-FI issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default PGM-FI issue?

Long story short; my 91 accord (auto) got slightly flooded, enough to get about an inch of water on the floor. The car was on a hill so the back end got the worst of it.

The car ran fine at first, but then on the way to my buddies house to use a shop vac I had to stop at a stop sign. All the water on the floor rushed to the front of the car and must of got the computers under the passenger side dash a little wet. The car stalled and would not start again. Ignition still turned over but it wouldn't run.

So I towed it home, got all the water out, used a blow dryer on the electrical stuff and eventually got the car to start.

Now it has the following symtoms that were not there before the flood:

1. Strange screeching noise (similiar to nails on a chalkboard) from top/left side of the engine (near the distributor). this noise is off and on.
2. Check engine light on. When I ran the code I got a #14 on the "S" light flashing thing so I am assuming this is the PGMFI unit? No other codes found.
3. The car will drive and shift through all the gears if i am gentle on the gas. Under load the RPM's jump around extremly rapidly and it wont up'shift until I let off the pedal a bit.
4. Very extreme vibrations at speeds over 50mph. Prior to the flood it drove straight and smooth at 80mph+
5. Engine doesn't seem to run as smoothly. Ticking sounds...

Additional info:
No water in the oil. Air filter is dry.
I drained all the water from the muffler/exhaust (lifted the car really high with the tow truck).
Car has had a fairly recent tune up: plugs, tranny flush, coolant flush, oil, air filter.

I tried to give as much detail as possible since this is a rare situation.

Any thoughts that would make life easier would be awesome since right now i am clueless.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:55 PM

my 87 lxi pgm-fi light comes on only going downhill,,,with minimal engine load, and no moisture is involved...i live in AZ...very dry. I noticed today after filling up the gas tank with "up to 10% ethanol" that it comes on more now... i think there may be a faulty sensor...

Old 06-24-2011, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

"tims"....get the codes....3rd gen, under the drivers seat. Slide it forward (more room) look from behind the seat, there is a "plastic" cover of the ecu. To the right/pass side there is a "window"/plate...pull from the top and it will open.....turn the key to "on", not start just on...count the flashes of the led.