General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Please Help 97 Honda Accord LX window and dash problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Unhappy Please Help 97 Honda Accord LX window and dash problem

Hello

i have a 97 honda accord LX automatic with power windows, today i was driving the car and i noticed that the digital clock and the dash components all stopped working as well when i tried to wined up the windows the all dont move, it is if i have lost all power to them. Now the car still drives and is able to function but i have all my windows down and this is a big problem.

Troubleshooting steps that i have taken.
1. checked all the fuses to see if the were blown all showed good
2. check relays by pulling them out and putting them back in havent changed them
3. pulled off door panel to see if something was wrong with cabling found nothing even tried to pull the window up manually or push it didnt move.

So if anyone has seen this problme before please please please help!!!

Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like a fuse is your problem. Is your car a V6 or 4-cyl?

Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Newest Of Newbies

i have a 97 accord lx 4-cyl. with power windows/locks and automatic trans

Old 11-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

the honda accord 97 only has 2 fuse boxes correct one on the drivers side by the pedals and the other one in the engine on the passenger side. if there is another please let me know as well.

thanks in advance

Old 11-18-2010, 01:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Do you think it could be the ground in the trunk that is not grounded correctly causing this?

Old 11-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

It is strange that you have all of this stuff going wrong at one time. From your PM, your car only has two fuse boxes. One in the engine bay and one under the driver's dash.

Your problem could be from no voltage or no ground. Do you have a volt meter? The easiest one to check is the yellow wire to the clock. It should have 12V to ground with the key in the II position. Find a bare metal bold to use as your ground.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

yes i do i will check the voltage on the clock when i go home and check the ground in the trunk. its weird because if there is no problem with the other functions such as power locks lights in the cabin and head lights indicator the car drives fine and all. this is so strange it just all happend at 1 time.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

I would suggest downloading the 94 shop manual from one of the links in the Online Manuals thread in the DIY section. The 94 is almost identical to the 97, so it should help out a lot. It will show you how to remove for example the door panel to access the wiring to start testing, etc.

You said that the power windows and the clock stopped working. What dash components specifically stopped working?

Also, does your car have a security/alarm system?

Old 11-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

the speadometer and the odometer the fuel one still works and all the lights are not working other than the light when you turn on the head lights.

Old 03-17-2022, 11:45 PM
Default I have the same issue

Originally Posted by superdappa
the speadometer and the odometer the fuel one still works and all the lights are not working other than the light when you turn on the head lights.
I am having the exact same problem. 97 4 cyl. I bought this car 3 years ago from a storage lot. Everything works and it runs great. Today installed a after market (car did not have one, vandalism) and something my have shorted but now windows don't work and the dash is unresponsive. All lights work and radio works just fine. Starts up just fine but it won't go in to gear (automatic) like the car is not running. Also when I turn the key before cranking (2 position) the battery light is the only dash light that is illuminated.