General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help carburated 1987 DX

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:15 AM
Default please help carburated 1987 DX

I have a carborated 87 honda accord DX (motor is and 89, head is an 87) . It has new plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotary button, fuel filters, air filter, oil and oil filter, intake gasket. It will run great for a few miles then it starts running rough and I have to pump the gas to get it to keep going. Usually the next time I get in it the car has quit running rough. But i drove it yesterday and parked it when it started acting up and it was still doing it the morning.

If anybody has any helpful hints at all please post them.

Thanks,
Tabitha

Last edited by Tabitha; 09-25-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Don't really have any ideas, but I changed the title to attract the attention of Poorman212. He really likes the older Accords...

Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 AM

Okay thank you.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:57 PM

sounds like your fuel pump is going out. you need to know what is causing your problem, be it fuel, or ignition.

sounds like fuel.

put a gauge inline and see that the running pressure is. sometimes when they get hot (electricly hot) they will stop running intermittenly, causing a fuel starving situation.. such as what you have? pumping the gas pedal, you are actually pumping raw gas from the accelerator pump of the carb. to the engine, hence, it starts running again till all that little bit of fuel is burnt.. then it starts missing again.

Brian B

Old 09-25-2012, 01:17 PM

What kind of gauge and where can I find one? What should the gauge read? I have two fuel filters, one behind the back drivers side tire and the other under the hood. The one under the hood is an in line filter and it is clear. I checked it to see if it had any fuel in it and it was half full. Does that matter?

Old 09-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Default intake gasket?

Would the intake gasket cause it to miss like this? I had someone follow me in it earlier while i was on the interstate. With the car in fifth gear at 80mph i put the pedal to the floor and all it did was deccelerate. The person in the car behind me said she saw it black smoke out the exhaust. Any ideas?????

Old 09-25-2012, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

My friend, Poorman212 knows a lot about these earlier Accords; hopefully he has some time.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

A few things to look at, remove the top of the air cleaner. Remove the screen over the top of the carb, don't drop the nuts into the throat.

Start the car and let is run. Watch the choke, it should open. Look into the throat and see if you see any gas drops - you should not.

Do you have a timing light?

Old 09-25-2012, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

I've merged the posts together.....

One new thing came to mind, with the work done - was this issue there before or did it happen right after.....or were you just trying to give all of the history.

To really "visually" check the fuel level, there is a sight glass on the side of the carb - fuel level should be in the middle. You have to remove the bottom part of the air cleaner, then from the drivers tire, look at the side of the carb. Might need a good flashlight as time/age makes the "glass" a bit hard to see thru.....the psi on the pump from these carb models is only like 4 psi...your pinky could hold it back.

However, where I was going with the "look down the throat" question is that if the float needle is not sealing off, extra gas will leak/drip down the carb.....causing bad idle, eventually causing the car to die out. Not that bad of a job, did it one night after work.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tabitha
Would the intake gasket cause it to miss like this? I had someone follow me in it earlier while i was on the interstate. With the car in fifth gear at 80mph i put the pedal to the floor and all it did was deccelerate. The person in the car behind me said she saw it black smoke out the exhaust. Any ideas?????
Now I see this post and things are getting more fun . I can't see the car but this leads me to believe you are have un-burnt fuel - running rich.

So I hate to back track but as the different pieces of info come in.....I'm now not so sure this is a fuel issue. You are getting the fuel (now, could be too much) but the black smoke makes you think it isn't burning - Spark - weak, lack of, out of time, ect.....

So I know I'm bouncing all around. Start with looking at the carb. Check the timing. From there we can test a few other things.