General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible engine mount issue on 4 Cyl. 2004 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Possible engine mount issue on 4 Cyl. 2004 Accord

What are the symptoms of loose or bad engine mounts?

A few months ago I noticed while driving under 60 MPH my car would shake. Intially I thought the shaking was on the right and then started on the left after my tire rotation. Had the tires and the axiles checked by various places and they all checked out fine.

Now when driving I notice when I excelerate, specifically on an incline the car shakes like crazy. Is it possible my engine mounts are bad? If they are bad how much am I looking at to fix. If this doesn't sound like an engine mount problem, what other problem could it be?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Since it's happenning when accelerating (or climbing) that makes it sound like axles. Specifically the inboard CV joint.

But it moved to a new corner when you rotated tires, THAT makes it a tire/wheel problem. Confusing...

How did you have the tires checked? Look for someplace with a road-force balancing machine (like Hunter GSP9700) unless it was already checked that way. I suspect you want to check for defects in the tire, like belts separating or something like that.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I actually left out some detail in my troubleshooting. It only shakes when accelerating, but when you take your foot off the gas, it stops shaking. The shaking also stops when you are going more than 60 MPH. Wouldn't it continue to shake if it were the axile or tires regardless of speed or taking foot off the gas?

Old 07-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ha I have similar problem and it may just be my axles! Mine shakes during acceleration in second gear near 2500-3000 rpm then it stops. Sometimes I can feel a slight shake upon deceleration by letting go the gas while cruising around the same speed. Gonna check my axles when I have time.
Oh btw, my transmission mount was cracked and I thought the shakes were due to that so I replaced them last week. Shakes are now more subtle but still there bah...

Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Analyze, an axle problem *usually* only happens on acceleration because when the axle is transmitting power the inboard joint flexes off-center which makes it wobble. Let off the gas and the axle goes back to being centered.

If it's a tire with a normal out-of-balance problem it should happen all the time. But if it's something unusual (like belts separating in the tire) then it might only happen with some acceleration or braking.

Krnluve, good idea to check the axles. Support the car real well so it doesn't fall down onto you... Grab the axle & try to shake it up & down and fore & aft (not in & out along the length of the axle). It's not supposed to be loose.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I will do that! However, I think I have located the noise. I inspected the tie rod and found that driver side inner tie rod has massive play and makes clunk noise when I shake on it. Opened the boot and noticed there are PS fluid residue. I am in the process of replacing the entire rack and pinion...What a PIA.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Good. That's why I tell people to check stuff out, don't just buy parts because that's what fixed the other guy's car.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Analyze, an axle problem *usually* only happens on acceleration because when the axle is transmitting power the inboard joint flexes off-center which makes it wobble. Let off the gas and the axle goes back to being centered.

If it's a tire with a normal out-of-balance problem it should happen all the time. But if it's something unusual (like belts separating in the tire) then it might only happen with some acceleration or braking.

Krnluve, good idea to check the axles. Support the car real well so it doesn't fall down onto you... Grab the axle & try to shake it up & down and fore & aft (not in & out along the length of the axle). It's not supposed to be loose.
Yep, I fixed the left CV joint and the wobbling stopped. Now I have another issue i'm getting ready to post about. This car is really starting to get on my nerves. I guess that's what happens at 9 years and 260k miles. *Shrugs* the bright side is the repairs needed thus far are minor.