General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible piston slap???

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation

As an update, I took the car to the Honda dealer today. One of the Techs came out to the car with me and sat in it while he listened to the engine while I revved it to 2000, down to 1600 then back up to 2000 to demonstrate the issue. He said it does not sound like a rod knock at all! GREAT NEWS!!! He did say it could be piston slap. Now, piston slap, where it seems horrible to think that your piston is "Slapping" anything, apparently that is not harming my engine! That's also good news. I've checked my valves this past weekend 3 times and set the intake to .26mm and the exhaust to .30. I may check them again to be completely sure everything is perfect. The valves on mine are good but you may want to check yours. Also, check your oil for the smell of gas. If the oil smells to much like gas then you have a lot of blow by. This could thin your oil causing wear. This may be caused by a miss on one or multiple plugs causing the gas not to be fully burned or the gap on your plugs is not set causing the gas not to be burned. Lastly, what I'm checking and replacing today, is the knock sensor. This is used to help the computer determine if there is a knock and either throw a code if it's bad or adjust the timing to limit the knock. From what I understand, if this sensor is faulty the car may continue to knock. The tech at Honda suggested Techron fuel system cleaner and the guy at Levine suggested that and Lucas oil, for me the synthetic stuff since I'm now running synthetic. This may help. In a way I'm happy about the news but this is a nagging sound and I want it gone. I'll change my knock sensor tonight and add the Techron stuff to a half tank and go from there.

Last edited by mejim707; 04-22-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Default looks like a new motor!!

well, the rapping got worse when i went to the parts store to get brake stuff for the car. had to get it back home and i think a connecting broke somewhere on the piston close to the timing belt. Took the plugs out and i could push that piston down with a screw driver lol. Then when i pushed it off the trailer i borrowed i put a nice scratch down the passenger door!!! wasnt my day at all, but just gives me a reason to make it faster and stronger!!! lol Thanks for all your input guys.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Thumbs down

That sucks! Wow, I guess you did have a rod knock after all. Did the knock carry through all RPMs? I've have 5 blown engines from thrown rods. Hence why I'm so worried about my knock! In my 78 nova the 305 - dead, changed engine to a powerful 350, all sorts of mods - dead, thrown rod racing, then, 3 in an Olds Cutlas Supreme, dead - thrown rods. Once I got the engine in the perfected, and the car looking incredible, I let my buddy borrow it for an interview at my job and he jumped it into a telephone pole - dead for good, stupidity. I hope the jump was fun! Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about that, and yes, it's your time to tear that engine up! Throw the old one out, its finished.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:02 PM

wow!!!! sounds like you have my kind of luck lol. good luck!!!!