General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Possible Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Xaero1369
Unregistered
Default Possible Transmission Problem

I have a 2001 Honda Accord EX 4Dr 2.3L VTEC Automatic with about 105k miles on it. I've recently changed the oil & filter with Full Synthetic by AMSOIL, changed the Spark Plugs, Cleaned the K&N Air Filter with a K&N Filter Cleaning Kit, Jiffy Lube performed a Coolant Change & a Fuel Injector Cleaning Service for me. When I purchased it in Oct 05 from a dealer, it had about 93k on it. It was running great up until Feb this year. It started having acceleration issues. It was hesitant to shift from 1st gear, but eventually would. No matter how much I'd press on the gas, it seemed very sluggish. Once the engine warmed up, the autoshifting was just fine. About a month later, when the engine was cold (just started up), it would stay in 1st gear & just let the rpms climb up to 5k & then it felt like it was just missing or slipping. After it slipped, the D4 gear indicator would flash & I would have to stop the car & restart the enging. It would typically repeat this 1 or 2 more times. This usually took place when it was cooler outside. Because of that I just started to let my car 'warm up' before I'd drive & it'd be fine. Now, it's come to the point where it does it almost every time I drive. I decided to pull the OBD Codes & try to figure out what is wrong. It gave me a P0700 & a P0780. Seems to me like the Transmission/Transaxle is bad. From what I've been reading, it could also just be a valve, sensor, or module gone bad. I have also noticed that I've hit the recommended mileage for a Timing Belt Change. Could this problem be related to the Timing Belt or is it just that the Transmission or its components are bad? By the way, I have checked all fluid levels & visually inspected the electrical system. I've been trying to troubleshoot this myself with the aid of my Maintenance Guidebook for referance. At this point I am not quite sure what to do. I'd rather not go all out & replace everything that could be wrong if I don't have to. I do plan on changing the Timing Belt soon as it is recommended. Any ideas?

Old 05-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Deleted User
Unregistered
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 05-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Default RE: Possible Transmission Problem

This may help:

http://www.driveaccord.net/PDF/autom...ansmission.pdf