General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Locks / Shift Light / Remote Start? Whew!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 01:11 AM
jvaruzzo
Unregistered
Default Power Locks / Shift Light / Remote Start? Whew!

This is my first post to the forum! I just purchased a 2004 Accord EX V6 w/ an auto.

I apprecaite any help or advice in advance!

I've noticed a few things with my new car in day one. The first thing is the backlight on the gear selector seems to randomly turn on or off (the light that backlights P, R, N, D, 3, 2, 1). This is the one on the shifter itself, not on the dash.

The second thing I noticed was that when I press the door lock button, only the driver door locks, no flashing lights, no horn. The window feature does not seem to work. The passenger door lock doesn't lock or unlock from remote, or within the car w/ the power lock switch.

At first I assumed maybe the power lock was bad on the passenger side, then I found a remote start manual in the glovebox. It seems the previous owner had a remote start installed. I don't know if it is still present or not, but I assume it was removed from the vehicle. There is no aftermarket fob, just the OE Honda Key/remote. Now I'm wondering if some one did a shotty job removing a remote start and wired things incorreclty (accounting for the remote window down, and locks not working properly).

Everything esle on this 80k mile car seems like showroom new. I'm going to address these few issues w/ small local non-Honda dealer. Perhaps he will address them, but it was a NY sale w/ 1month / 3k mile warranty for drivetrain. The dealer is not entitled to fix these things. If he decides not too, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice?

Is it possible the remote system is installed, but w/ no remote? Where are these typically installed, would I see an extra module in the engine compartment, or under the dash?

Thanks,
Justin

Old 11-04-2006, 02:14 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: Power Locks / Shift Light / Remote Start? Whew!

Mine is installed under the dash. Does everything else on the passenger side work besides the lock? If not, the door may not be recieving any power. Anyways, good luck and hopefully its not expensive to fix. Welcome to HAF by the way!

Old 11-04-2006, 09:40 AM
jvaruzzo
Unregistered

Yes, everythign else on the door works (power windows, illuminated buttons, etc).

Another thing I realized is that the horn doesn't beep, nor do the lights flash when I hit the lock button. At first I thought something was messed up w/ that part of it, but then it occured to me after reading the book that "If any doors arn't locked, or any door/trunk open, the horn will not sound and the lights will not flash". So I assume, once the door lock issue is resolved, the alarm will work to spec.

Thanks,
Justin

Old 11-04-2006, 03:31 PM

typically the modules are installed under the dash, occasionally hidden behind the glove box or center console... does the passenger side door lock work if you use the auto lock switch inside the car on either the drivers or passenger side? (not the key fob) If it doesn't lock automatically from any switch then you most likely have an issue with the actuator or the wiring to it.... perhaps the did a shoddy job of the removal and forgot to reconnect something.... let us know if there is anyway at all to lock it automatically from inside the car or if you have to manually lock it (is that even possible or is something binding?)