General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for on 96 Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 04:13 PM
liveevil
Unregistered
Default What to look for on 96 Accord?

Hello all,

I am considering the purchase of a 96 Accord, which has a few issues that I have come across(along with a few solutions that I found here). I was wondering if there are any other causes to the problems I have found with the Accord, and if they are easily completed by a novice home mechanic. I also wanted to know if there any issues with this generation Accord that I should look out for!

The accord is a 4 cyl. automatic LX with 134,000 miles, an aftermarket moonroof and a multi cd in the trunk.

The following are a few of the problems that I have found so far:
-Valve Cover leak - needs new gasket?
-Not all power locks work - bad motors?
-Hard shifting - could be engine mounts
-Rough idle at stops / shakes steering wheel - found this could be low idle or engine mounts
-No heat/defrost (thermostat goes to 1/4 temp) - bad thermostat?
-There also seems to be a jerk to the steering wheel during some shifting
-There are also some misc. minor cosmetic needs
-Previous owner told me the a/c needs charged again, that he had it recharged a year or two ago - could be leaky pipes?

Any help determing a fair price for this thing would also be appreciated.
I got this to blue book in good condition at 3855, but was thinking 3200-3300 would be a fair price considering what I have found so far.

Thanks for the help and any feedback!

Old 10-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Default RE: What to look for on 96 Accord?

I'd say your price range sounds about right if that's the book value that you pulled... The power locks thing could be as simple as a fuse, the shifting/idle issue sounds like a bad motor mount (rear motor mount is the most common culprit for these problems and is fairly spendy), the idle should be around 900 rpm's normally and if you're not getting any heat but the car warms up then it could be a slew of problems, if it blows just fine but only cold air it could be the controls themselves, the heater core or various other issues..... to repair everything at a shop I'd guess around $300 for the rear motor mount alone, you can recharge the A/C but it needs tested for leaks.... I'd take the car in and get a quote from a mechanic (usually around $75.00 here for a FULL inspection) and then take the price of that quote and deduct it from the book value, take out a loan for the full amount, buy the car and then fix it.... Just my thoughts on it... Welcome to the forum!

Old 10-30-2006, 06:57 PM

I bought my 96 accord lx 5 sp. for $3000. It had 99,000 miles on it. I have since spent thousands on it replacing misc. things. it now has over 170,000 and shes still runnin

Old 10-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i'd stay away from this car,,,,,,,,,,

to may things wrong and some of them could cost potentially a lot of money
WHAT IF
shifting issues........internal tranny problem ???
a/c leak.. comptressor ???
timing belt done ??
motor mounts ?? rear 1 is expensive

personally i think you can do a lot better ,, but if you really like this car , take my advice and have a shop that specializes on Hondas or the Dealer do a buyer's chk out ,, it might cost you 60-70 dollars but it will be the best money you will ever spend on a used car

Old 10-31-2006, 12:39 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The following are a few of the problems that I have found so far:

1.-Valve Cover leak - needs new gasket? <- easy fix new tube seals

2.-Not all power locks work - bad motors? <- common problem

3.-Hard shifting - could be engine mounts <- change trans fluid and add a can of lub guard

4.-Rough idle at stops / shakes steering wheel - found this could be low idle or engine mounts <- time to run some FI cleaner, seafoam, and change the plugs cap and rotor

5.-No heat/defrost (thermostat goes to 1/4 temp) - bad thermostat? <- most likely

6.-There also seems to be a jerk to the steering wheel during some shifting <- see solution for hard shifting

7.-There are also some misc. minor cosmetic needs <- forget this stuff just make it so it will not rust any further...

8.-Previous owner told me the a/c needs charged again, that he had it recharged a year or two ago - could be leaky pipes? <- I have had to recharge my 94 twice in 5 years that I had it, once when I got it and then again last year.

3 Gs tops. If you can do 1, 3(6), 4, 5 and 8 yourself, it will only cost you about $150 or so in parts.

I bought my 94 after it had been rebuilt from salvage at 60K and it is still running with over 146K on it and I only replaced the following

1. Rad cap @ 132K
2. Driver ouside CV joint @ 141K
3. T-stat @ 144K
4. 1 set of tires @ 128K
5. Exhaust @ 122K
6. Brakes @ 124K (yes they were original)
7. recharge AC @ 90K and 143K

Old 11-03-2006, 02:10 AM

I would stay away as well, I ahve a 1996 with 188,00 miles on it. I have an oil leak now, rear struts had to be replaced, door motor had to be fixed. Now going back tomorrow for the oil leak.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:41 PM
liveevil
Unregistered

Thanks for all the advice guys, I am going to take it to Honda for a once over and a first hand look at the issues. I really hope it's not the tranny.