General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power seat recline stopped

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Default Power seat recline stopped

My driver's seat stopped reclining, in either direction. I checked the fuse and it's good. The seat actually moves, very slightly in either direction, so I think the motor is working. It seems like it's just stuck/binding up in this position somehow. So far beating on the seat isn't working, haha.

On a related note, would a manual seat (LX) fit right in my EX V6 sedan? In my opinion a manual seat works better because it moves quicker. My short wife moves the seat almost all the way up, then I have to stand outside the car for what seems like forever, waiting for the seat to move all the way back. It would be sooo much simpler if I could just pull the lever up, like I did on the old Accord, and the seat would quickly slide back. The wait is a pain, especially when it's raining.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

You will have to find the motor and unplug it. One wire will be white, the other will be blue. You will have to test for voltage and ground (depending on the switch pushed for down or up).

If you have 12V, then you can try supplying 12V and ground directly to the motor to see if the motor is the issue.

I'm not sure about the LX seat in an EXV6. My guess is that it should work, but not sure if your car has the air bags from the seat, or how the wiring connects.

Old 06-07-2016, 05:58 AM

Thanks PA. It will probably be the weekend before I can get the seat out.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

You can test the driver's seat recline motor by disconnecting the 12P gray connector from the driver's power seat switch.

First check to see if there is 12 volts at terminal no. 2 (Wht/red wire).

To test if recline motor goes backwards (only do so briefly to not damage the motor if it works):
  • Connect a jumper wire (spare piece of wire) between terminal no. 2 (Wht/red wire) and terminal no. 6 (Blu wire).
  • Connect another jumper wire between terminal no. 12 (Wht wire) and terminal no. 4 (Blk wire).

To test if recline motor goes forward:
  • Connect a jumper wire between terminal no. 4 (Blk wire) and terminal no. 6 (Blu wire).
  • Connect another jumper wire between terminal no. 2 (Wht/red wire) and terminal no. 12 (Wht wire).

The above is done with the harness connector unplugged from the switch and jumped on the harness side.

Attached Thumbnails Power seat recline stopped-12p-connector.jpg