General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power steering cooling leak!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Default Power steering cooling leak!!!

so i was checkin under my hood the other dya and noticed i have a slight power steering leak. it seems to be right where the pipe curves down into the cooler. the pipe there is steel and appears to be rotting out as well as the cooler. i need to change the fluid anyway but was wondering what i should do now. where can i find replacements for this combination pipe and what can i use for a replacement cooler? also what do i need to know about powers teering changes like bleeding and such?? thanks...

17 and 18 are bad....

Attached Thumbnails Power steering cooling leak!!!-13sv40_b3360.jpg  
Old 02-13-2009, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

You can buy the cooler from places like hondaautomotiveparts dot com or others.

Just refill the system. Air will cause the fluid to foam, then let it settle awhile. Add fluid as needed & run again; repeat until it doesn't foam.

You'll need genuine PS fluid, or at least something that says "FOR HONDA". The so-called universal PS fluid is NOT for Honda.

Old 02-13-2009, 09:56 AM

ok sounds good thank you. ive been looking and the pipe that goes from the rack to the cooler is bad too. its really long and completely steel. is this a possible DIY and im assuming i can find this pipe online/junkyard as well. also instead of getting the cooler online would something like a trans or engine oil cooler work as well. i mean it would be upgraded and i hear cooler is better. lol....thanks again.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

I think(?) that pipe you're talking about (along with the cooler) is on the low-pressure side. Anyway, be aware of the pressure rating of any cooler you want to use. Aside from that, it should work.

You'll have to deal with access to replace that other tube (rack to cooler). Seems to me you have to remove a pile of stuff to get at that tube.

Junkyard pipe might be just as corroded as yours?

Old 07-08-2014, 09:35 PM

Hi, I have a 97 accord and my combination pipe started leaking bad from a hole right where a brace is welded on between the two pipes that make up the combination pipe. Oh my god was that a pain to get out. I had to cut the pipe in order to get it out. I want to try to use replacement power steering return hose to do the job of the combination pipe (number 18 in the diagram in the first post. I plan on using the existing holes that the combination pipe used as mounting holes, as well as some other brackets in order to keep the hose from hitting any moving or hot parts. Has anyone ever done this before? Will it work?

Old 07-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Seems to me you can make up a set of tubes to do that job, if you don't want to buy that $pecial pre-bent assembly. Just more hours work for YOU making the bends, etc.

Like you said, if you use hose, you have to be careful about brackets so it doesn't flex around & get caught in the belts.

It's 17 years old, so take a close look at the rest of the system. All the other pipes will probably corrode through before another 10 years goes by.

The only high-pressure pipe looks like #5 in that picture. Not sure what I was thinking when I warned clutch811 about the pressure rating of the cooler.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:45 PM

yeah, i was thinking I might have to bend some pipe, but I tried this first...
So I haven't tested it yet, but I managed to reused half of the original combination pipe (the end on the rack side which had very little corroding). It looks in fairly decent shape. I used a pipe cutter and flared out the end that was cut. So now just the part of the return line that goes past the belts is still hardline, then the rest is some 3/8in hose I picked up at the auto parts store. I'll will try to post a picture or two tomorrow when it's light out. This forum was a big help! Thanks!

Old 07-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

I know you said this in your post, but I'll just throw this out for the benefit of anyone reading this in the future... Make sure the hose is rated for power-steering fluid.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation

My car is 2003 honda accord v6, I was told a pw hose need to be replaced in subframe, it is called return line? If it is repaired instead of replaced, how long will repaired one last on that hose I mentioned above. Less than 24 hours after I left the repair shop for annual ny inspection renewal then one shop saying hose need replaced for around $300. I refused, I went other shop for ny inspection again and I told him pls ck the pw hose, he said it can be repaired beds than maybe $34.00. But within 18 hours after leaving shop, my sterling wheel felt stiff to turn several blocks and at parking lot! I was scare when I was done with post office and reversed my car out of parking lot, I felt one Big Bang. Is tgat from loose pw hose? Does it hurt the belt badly or can damage belt?
Thanks for ur opinion.

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Seems to me you can make up a set of tubes to do that job, if you don't want to buy that $pecial pre-bent assembly. Just more hours work for YOU making the bends, etc.

Like you said, if you use hose, you have to be careful about brackets so it doesn't flex around & get caught in the belts.

It's 17 years old, so take a close look at the rest of the system. All the other pipes will probably corrode through before another 10 years goes by.

The only high-pressure pipe looks like #5 in that picture. Not sure what I was thinking when I warned clutch811 about the pressure rating of the cooler.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

[QUOTE=JimBlake;155620]I think(?) that pipe you're talking about (along with the cooler) is on the low-pressure side. Anyway, be aware of the pressure rating of any cooler you want to use. Aside from that, it should work.

You'll have to deal with access to replace that other tube (rack to cooler). Seems to me you have to remove a pile of stuff to get ..

Hi - to replace the power steerling hose, it can be repaired by non-honda mechanic? Does the power steerling hose must be replaced only with honda brand hose to be done at honda service ctr?